Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

89 Fleer Baseball Cello pack “card too thick, no grade, no charge”

I submitted a number of 1989 Fleer baseball cello packs for grading. After 10 months the grades were available today. No cello packs were graded. Most said “card too thick, no grade, no charge”. I’ve seen a few 89 Fleer cellos with a newer style flip so I know they fit in the slab. Any ideas what ‘card too thick” means? Anyone else have this happen?

Comments

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

It does happen quite a bit and seemingly for no apparent reason. My guess is that if the pack has an extra card (or two), which is very common for that period, the pack ends up being too thick to fit in the holder.

• Options
    tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

I think when they switched to the new pack holder a few years ago they are too thin for those packs. I had the same experience over a year ago. I don’t believe they grade Any 1989 fleer cello packs with the current holder.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two of these on the way. Some have gotten graded lately

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have a couple ripken cellos as well, but submitted two more a few years back. one was damaged, the other returned raw and told me that they will no longer be grading them from that point.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

seems they should update the pop report for that set then to say that it is no longer graded..10 months is a long time to wait to find out you can't even get something graded

• Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

It's crazy, I had 2 of them pop a month ago in holders, I have 2 more that just went to step 4, outta be interesting. Guess I should be happy that they put this puppy in a holder :)

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Card/sticker count is the only thing that can make these packs too thick for the holders.

• Options

This was my result over a year ago.

• Options
    LtlbvrLtlbvr Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

@tkersting said:

Disappointing that this happens. Did any of your packs get slabbed? Or all of them rejected?

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, I'm happy I got my '89 Fleer cellos slabbed a few years ago...

Why couldn't this have happened to '88 Donruss cellos instead!

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

@Ltlbvr said:

@tkersting said:

Disappointing that this happens. Did any of your packs get slabbed? Or all of them rejected?

This was a small part of a submission, I got several others graded so it wasn’t a huge deal.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA must have dozens if not a few hundred different size "tombs" for a wide range
    of sports/non sports/coins/packs and other memorabilia that they grade and authenticate.
    Surely they could have a holder made to accommodate these thicker cello packs. When this
    occurs I'm sure the collector is ticked off at them. I would be.

• Options

So I just mailed off a handful of 1989 fleer cello packs with Griffey on top, hopefully they are back to grading these. I’ll let folks know in about a year 😁