Home Sports Talk
Options

if this information results in future financial gain, i expect a 10% cut

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

quick....

anyone know who holds the record for the longest field goal in a football game.......on any level? and how far of a boot it was?

if anyone here does, i'll be truly impressed. probably the only reason i know is because, well, keep reading.

October 16, 1976.

a heavyweight homecoming tilt between two NAIA powerhouses, Abilene Christian University and East Texas State.

Ove Johansson of ACU.

69 yards.

fun facts:

there was a 17 mph gale behind Johansson's back

he used a tee (allowed back then)

1976 was his first year to play organized football

he was the oldest player ever selected in the NFL Draft (28 years, 281 days old)

playing for the Philly Eagles, he attempted a grand total of 4 FGs in his pro career...........and made a grand total of 1 of them. (he blew out his knee in a season-ending bowl game in college and was never the same.)

and speaking of the Philadelphia Eagles, Wilbert Montgomery was a senior on ACU's team at the time.

and perhaps the best nugget of all is................i was at this game. i was 4 at the time.

for years there has been a nasty rumor floating around that i was simultaneously picking my nose and scratching my ass when the record-breaking kick was made. ok maybe i made this part up. or did i?

ACU is in the city i grew up in, and it's the university i matriculated at years later as an undergrad. so there you have it.

and because i'm such an exemplary individual, i dug up crappy footage of the kick for your viewing pleasure...

https://wwwcache.ncaa.com/video/football/2019-10-15/watch-record-breaking-69-yard-field-goal-ove-johansson-1976

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great dissertation! That was on a SteveK Dissertation level 👍👍

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome story, I had no idea about this kick. That is insane!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting story, especially to me with the Philly connections.

I just sent the footage and trivia question to the game show Jeopardy.

They accepted it along with sending me a large sum of money for a finder's fee.

I'd PayPal your cut, but i'm not sure how to calculate the 10%?

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it was a hot stock pick or an NFL lock. 🤬

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    I thought it was a hot stock pick or an NFL lock. 🤬

Same 😂

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story.

Technically speaking, every spectator played a role in creating just the right physical conditions.

Reading that, I was saddened by his knee injury.

Know what happened to him?

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Great dissertation! That was on a SteveK Dissertation level 👍👍

i can only aspire. i am a very destitute man's stevek

@2dueces said:

I thought it was an NFL lock. 🤬

i've already given out four of those this season my brutha. watch for my bears-get-massacred prediction each week. when i do it, they win outright. the one week i forgot they actually lost. straight cash homie!

@thisistheshow said:

Know what happened to him?

i do not. i will dig a little and find out.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2020 5:30PM

I still can't believe they had the stones to go for a 69 yarder.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually know about the guy who made the 69-yarder. Why did I know? Because I looked it up after Austin Rehkow kicked a 67-yard FG in a high school game here in Spokane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMF9qgs3PEw

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was student teaching at a high school in Michigan, we had a tremendous football team. And a kicker with a gigantic leg. I watched him warming up one time before a game and he was kicking FGs from 50 yards. He kicked one that was higher than the top of the goal posts, cleared the grass behind the goalpost, the running track that circled the field, and then landed about 5 feet past the fence on the outside of the track. Unbelievable kick.

His next kick landed on the goal line. :)