Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Panini just doesn't care anymore....

ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 10, 2020 10:48PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I bought a 2019 Prizm Draft Football Multi Pack Box from Blowout. I am a Notre Dame fan but this is a little silly. These all came from one box. I think Boykin and Tillery have a chance to break out. Maybe somewhere out there is a hot Oklahoma or Alabama box.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many autos are in a regular box?
    Every time I buy single boxes I feel I’ve been screwed. Can’t tell for sure but my thoughts are they crack a case and open boxes until they hit the hot rookies in that case and sell the rest of the boxes. Probably not but I have a bunch of rookie linebackers practice squad autos to show for it.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2020 8:55AM

I think 5 or 6 so I outkicked the coverage. I got into these for the Pink Pulsar prizms since I started working on the set. I bought my first boxes at D&A and the listing didn't even mention autos but I pulled 5 per box, Once I pulled 6, this is the first time I pulled 7.

These boxes don't have all of the parallels as hobby and I suspect the best autos are in hobby. But for the price $125 or so for 36 packs and 12 3-card refractor packs, it's a good deal. I shouldn't really complain about Panini since these autos give me a shot of making a few bucks if Boykin and Tillery have big seasons. I think Tillery has a chance to be a top sack guy.

Mike
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are the signatures so different?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    PSA9sPSA9s Posts: 22 ✭✭

"Anymore" suggest they cared before

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

at least they aren't redemptions that you'll have to sit on for years. that's one of the biggest scams going, imo.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

no chance the same person signed the two Tillery cards...probably goes to show you how a lot of the modern auto cards are ghost-signed or the athletes have some of their buddies sit down and help them get thru the stack of cards they have to sign...yikes

• Options
    edited October 11, 2020 3:00PM

ehhh. not so sure about that. pretty much all the vids posted of these things being signed, there's the athlete and a rep sitting in a hotel room banging these out.

i see the first one, which seems to be a numbered camo sp or something, as being signed first. naturally doing the best cards first. then see the other signed base auto after a couple of hours and twenty thousand cards later or so. tail end of both autos seem similar.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

those tillery cards were not signed by the same person.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

sign your name 10k times over the course of a weekend and at different settings or even in 1 marathon session and i guarantee you start off fresh and then go sloppy. it would be very easy to pick several different examples that don't look similar. monotony. if you don't think so, try it. bang out a couple thousand as fast as you can.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2020 6:33PM

when i was doing some research on some big name autos, i got to talk w grad a couple of times. big whoop. but the biggest take away was that the art of detecting a fraudulent auto wasn't necessarily if the auto looked different. it's determining pressure points in the ink, the flow, pen stoppage, angles of the sig and where the sig was signed. ie: banks usually signed his cards on his rc in a landscaped fashion in the batting pose. aaron usually signed his on the lower part w the sig slightly angling up from start to finish. if you look at these two, the ending characteristics are pretty similar but above all that look at where and how they stop on the sticker, ie spacing from ink to edge of the sticker. it's dead on. the ink also gets noticeably heavier at the tail end of the "y".

in the op, look at the spacing from the top of the ink to the sticker edge from the starting "j" and ending "y". if you measured them, i bet they are so eerily close it's scary. if it were two different people, no way they nail those individual forensics and intricacies.

eta: to drive my point home on the "forensics" importance, check out the boykin sigs in the op. his sigs tend to hug the top left corner of the stickers. and while his sigs all look obviously similar, the "finger print" of his auto is clear. if i saw one that started in the middle and ran off the sticker on the right, that would be an initial red flag. that wouldn't rule it out as a fake obviously, but it certainly wouldn't be characteristic.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    sign your name 10k times over the course of a weekend and at different settings or even in 1 marathon session and i guarantee you start off fresh and then go sloppy. it would be very easy to pick several different examples that don't look similar. monotony. if you don't think so, try it. bang out a couple thousand as fast as you can.

the first J has big loop at top, small on bottom...other has small on top, big on bottom...i don't care how many times I sign my name, they aren't going to be THAT different..

• Options

@Kepper19 said:

@blurryface said:

the first J has big loop at top, small on bottom...other has small on top, big on bottom...i don't care how many times I sign my name, they aren't going to be THAT different..

prove it. bang me out a thousand in the next hour and post the sheet. give ya an hour. go.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2020 7:09PM

@Kepper19 said:

@blurryface said:

better yet, let me save you an hour and some cramping. i'll agree w you and say no way the same guy signed these cards either. his "j's" & "s's" look completely different to. it's all juan big conspiracy. 😀

• Options
    edited October 11, 2020 7:23PM

in closing, there's a reason it's called "psa dna". obviously we aren't talking about cheek swabs, but each person has their own individual dna characteristics in how they sign their names that aren't even cognitively thought of and are unique.

• Options

I like the guy and he was a great player at Notre Dame. I'm just trying to reconcile why anyone would try to fake a Tillery signature.

Mike