Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

RESULT POSTED - Should this Jordan Sticker grade a PSA 7, 8, or 9?

RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

Should this Jordan sticker be graded a PSA 7, 8, or 9? (back prevents a 10). All four corners are sharp. There is a razor-like indentation line on the back (2 sentences from the bottom). Discoloration in the bottom pink area of the back is my finger!

So what grade do you think it deserves?

Comments

• HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

An indentation no matter how razor like is an automatic PSA Threeve.

• AANVAANV Posts: 326 ✭✭✭

That's the best centering that I have ever seen on this sticker.

• tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

If it’s in a 7 holder they missed the back. It’s a beautifully centered card but they missed the back if its a 7, 8 or 9. Still a very nice card and worth a premium because of the centering.

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

@Horse said:
    An indentation no matter how razor like is an automatic PSA Threeve.

Hmmm, I feel like that could be a common thing on those stickers, some sort of press roller... I don't have any other 88 stickers to compare.

If it was on the front, then I'm sure it would kill it, but it is the back.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen that same mark on stickers from that year. It’s a product flaw, well my thoughts anyway. I still think it could garner an 8.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2020 12:46PM

solid 6, imo.

while i agree that card has tremendous centering for this issue, i would also disagree that all 4 corners are sharp. couple that w the chipped/dirty back border(s) and the fact that it doesn't lack the standard back pd/fisheye and seems right at home in a 6 holder. a 7 on a good day, an 8 would be a gift, a 9 would require testing said grader for crack and a 10 would require an internal investigation.

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Send it in. You could kill it.

@blurryface said:
    solid 6, imo.

while i agree that card has tremendous centering for this issue, i would also disagree that all 4 corners are sharp.

Well they are sharp in the sense they are not soft. The missing paint is chippage, not softness.....

edited October 11, 2020 2:08PM

@RufussCkingston said:

@blurryface said:
    solid 6, imo.

while i agree that card has tremendous centering for this issue, i would also disagree that all 4 corners are sharp.

Well they are sharp in the sense they are not soft. The missing paint is chippage, not softness.....

again, i would disagree.

cards w soiled edges rarely have 4 sharp corners.

it's obviously holdered, so let's see what grade it's assessed as of now.

eta: and for the record, i'm giving you the opinion of a guy that put the highest graded set together of cards and stickers from the '88 set about 7 years ago. ive seen, subbed, crossed and bumped countless cards from this set. the roy tarpley 10 still haunts me, but whatevs.

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

I am seeing a bend on that top and bottom left front corner. Maybe I am wrong. psa 5?

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

I had a small indention on an otherwise gem mint chrome card and it dropped it to a 7, so with that in mind, along with corners and edges, I would guess 5

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY

solid 6, imo.

I get what your saying, but also think that theory is more accurate with old 80's and back topps stock..... Anywho, the corners are sharp as I touched them ;) Everything looks way worse magnified...

Here's the out of the case pics...

edited October 11, 2020 3:48PM

now that i can see it better, i gotta agree w above 2 members and say psa 5. top left corner does seem bent. if so, the rest of the cards attributes are moot. psa 5 will be its best. but don't me wrong, it's still a great card and i would proudly park that 5 in my collection simply because of the incredible front centering. the '88 sticker w it's classic design and mj's iconic tongue drive photo makes it one of his coolest and best looking cards, imo. the all star card from this set is up there too. prolly why i chose to do the run.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing to keep in mind, common defects are still defects, that's why it can be so difficult to find certain cards in high grades.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. I focused too much on the mark. PSA 5.5

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@blurryface said:
    now that i can see it better, i gotta agree w above 2 members and say psa 5. top left corner does seem bent.

I think it's a mark on the sleeve.... the corner(s) aren't bent or soft. The only "abnormal" issues are the chippage and indent line on the back. Other than centering/coloring/print marks, etc.

edited October 11, 2020 6:55PM

@RufussCkingston said:

@blurryface said:
    now that i can see it better, i gotta agree w above 2 members and say psa 5. top left corner does seem bent.

I think it's a mark on the sleeve.... the corner(s) aren't bent or soft. The only "abnormal" issues are the chippage and indent line on the back. Other than centering/coloring/print marks, etc.

what grade was it? you came asking for advice but just don't seem to want to accept it.

and while i don't know the rest of these guys that have responded in a personal manner, i know them well enough to take their thoughts w more than just a grain of sand. i can assure you we aren't all in cahoots to down grade your card or troll you. we are just giving you what you asked for and that's our honest opinion. if you just want to hear that it's got a great shot at a 9, tell me. i'll post that for ya.

8 all day. 9 on a good day.

what grade was it? you came asking for advice but just don't seem to want to accept it.

I'm accepting the advice, I'm just clarifying when an issue is raised that is not actually on this particular card (even though the pics make it seem that way) since everyone is focusing on those issues to say it's a 5!

But I appreciate all the input.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why all the drama? Just post what grade the card received

@RufussCkingston said:

I'm accepting the advice, I'm just clarifying when an issue is raised that is not actually on this particular card (even though the pics make it seem that way) since everyone is focusing on those issues to say it's a 5!

But I appreciate all the input.

4th time asking...so what grade was it?

The reveal....... My first ever submission. I guess I should be blessed with the indentation on the back. I would say a 9 (at least 8.5) for sure if it wasn't there with the front centering top and bottom.

what WAS the grade?

@blurryface said:
    what WAS the grade?

Ungraded

great results! and gotta say, the scans above look the best so far. every pic posted seemed to make the card look different

edited October 12, 2020 3:33PM

Yeah, lighting is hard to get a perfect pic.... I should have posted the pictures below from the listing when I bought it raw.... Unfortunately I didn't notice the indentation (not like I would have thought to look for it), and didn't even notice it until I think I was finishing the submission paperwork a month later.

Hoping to get $200 out of it, but will still lose money as I paid the $75 express fee since I thought it would 9, and sent it with 4 100-card bulk orders and some voucher orders hoping it would get them put in the queue faster.

My thoughts on posting this originally was whether I should ask for a grade review (as opposed to cracking). But from the responses it appears I'm sitting pretty at a PSA 8.

Thanks again for the input

MK