Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Epson V39 for scanning slabs?

Does anyone have the Epson V39 for scanning slabs? My V37 just quit, so I am in the market for a new scanner. Based on pics that I have seen, the V39 seems a little smaller, so I am not sure it would work for slabs. Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

Working on the following sets
1980's and 1990's Topps Baseball BBCE FASC - Cello or Wax Boxes
1952 Bowman US Presidents PSA 7 & up
Pro Football Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts PSA Registry Set
June 9th Cubs full ticket or stubs - 1981 to 2020
Andre Dawson Topps Basic registry PSA 10's
Mark Grace Topps Basic registry PSA 10's

Comments

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2020 7:49PM

@abcoltsfan said:
    Does anyone have the Epson V39 for scanning slabs? My V37 just quit, so I am in the market for a new scanner. Based on pics that I have seen, the V39 seems a little smaller, so I am not sure it would work for slabs. Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Aaron

V39 is not a good option for graded cards. It is a CIS scanner and will produce blurry scans. If you are scanning raw cards it will be ok, but that is not the case here.

For graded cards, the first option would be an Epson V600 or as a second and lower cost option, the Epson V370.

Check out my scanning guide in my signature. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

• abcoltsfanabcoltsfan Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:

@abcoltsfan said:

Thanks,
    Aaron

V39 is not a good option for graded cards. It is a CIS scanner and will produce blurry scans. If you are scanning raw cards it will be ok, but that is not the case here.

For graded cards, the first option would be an Epson V600 or as a second and lower cost option, the Epson V370.

Check out my scanning guide in my signature. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Thanks for the guide. Good stuff in there!

Working on the following sets
    1980's and 1990's Topps Baseball BBCE FASC - Cello or Wax Boxes
    1952 Bowman US Presidents PSA 7 & up
    Pro Football Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts PSA Registry Set
    June 9th Cubs full ticket or stubs - 1981 to 2020
    Andre Dawson Topps Basic registry PSA 10's
    Mark Grace Topps Basic registry PSA 10's

• estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

I have the Epson V600 and it's been a very good purchase. It also has some attachments for scanning negatives. More importantly, I find their software to be easy to use.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 442 ✭✭✭

I have a V37 in mostly un-used condition. Not sure if this model is better for the type of scanning you want to do but its just sitting in my office and available should you want to discuss it....

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals

@sjjs28 said:
    I have a V37 in mostly un-used condition. Not sure if this model is better for the type of scanning you want to do but its just sitting in my office and available should you want to discuss it....

Unfortunately the V37 is the same type as the V39, a CIS scanner, so not recommended for scanning graded cards. Raw cards it should work fine.

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a good wireless scanner? Do those have wireless capability?

@Rofles said:

Most of the wireless scanners are document scanners, the type with the document feeders on them (Epson ES-400). I am not aware of a CCD Flatbed wireless scanner.

The standalone scanner is a dying breed. I doubt we will see many new models come out, lets just hope they continue to be supported by the latest operating systems.

• blue227blue227 Posts: 185 ✭✭

@NGS428 said:

@Rofles said:

Most of the wireless scanners are document scanners, the type with the document feeders on them (Epson ES-400). I am not aware of a CCD Flatbed wireless scanner.

The standalone scanner is a dying breed. I doubt we will see many new models come out, lets just hope they continue to be supported by the latest operating systems.

Great PDF guide to scanning graded cards! Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

@blue227 said:

@NGS428 said:

@Rofles said:

Great PDF guide to scanning graded cards! Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Thanks! I am working on a the latest version covering display gamma. Should have that out soon.

• BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

The 600 is very good

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

@BuckHunter68 said:
    The 600 is very good

Agreed. Best lower cost option out there. You can actually find it in stock now.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2020 10:34AM

just got one of these in. gonna try it out. really like the automated features and speed it promises. auto-scanning as soon as your hands are removed from the defined space seems really cool. and hopefully the barcode scanner uploads and can be used as intended for inventory data entry purposes too. if it can do both features in one swoop, could be a game changer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t2kOgE9ypQY

@blurryface said:
    just got one of these in. gonna try it out. really like the automated features and speed it promises. auto-scanning as soon as your hands are removed from the defined space seems really cool. and hopefully the barcode scanner uploads and can be used as intended for inventory data entry purposes too. if it can do both features in one swoop, could be a game changer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t2kOgE9ypQY

Please follow back up on how it works. I am interested to see if you can eliminate glare and get a crisp image.

• @NGS428 said:

@sjjs28 said:

Unfortunately the V37 is the same type as the V39, a CIS scanner, so not recommended for scanning graded cards. Raw cards it should work fine.

Just a small correction, the V37 was a CCD scanner. Unfortunately, it is discontinued now. Epson went backwards going from the V37 to the V39 by changing from a CCD to CIS element. See page 70 https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/prv37_/prv37_ug.pdf

@x2drich2000 said:

@NGS428 said:

@sjjs28 said:

Just a small correction, the V37 was a CCD scanner. Unfortunately, it is discontinued now. Epson went backwards going from the V37 to the V39 by changing from a CCD to CIS element. See page 70 https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/prv37_/prv37_ug.pdf

Good catch. Thanks!

edited November 13, 2020 4:07AM

really digging the new toy. side by side (one scan) of vintage and modern together. no more photography for modern, no more bulky v600 that takes up 3sqft of desk space for vintage. the auto features on this "scanner" are amazing. as soon as your hands exit the mat, it scans automatically. can do around 20 or so cards per minute once you get your system and rhythm down

eta: and these are just factory settings. havent had the time to toy w/ it and dial it in just yet!

@blurryface sounds like this would be an acceptable option for high volume imaging. Thanks for sharing.

edited November 13, 2020 7:34AM

which is exactly what i was looking for. something that can do EVERYTHING quickly. ill still breakout the epson v600 on personal vintage scans, but for what i am looking for now mixed w. a price tag of $300, this will do it's intended job.

the auto barcode reader is also making me consider changing my entire inventory format. still toying around w/ this feature too but if i can get it so send a scan and upload all of the card details all at once and into 1 file, it could be a game changer for sure.