Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Did PCGS make a mistake attributing this coin?

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to the PCGS Certification Database, the requested certification number is defined as the following:

PCGS # 508579
Date, mintmark 1894
Denomination (Peso)
Variety KM-224 C/S on 1893 Sol
Region Guatemala
Grade MS65
Pedigree C/M-UNC Detail
Security Protected by NFC anti-counterfeiting technology
Holder Type PCGS Gold Shield
Population 1
Pop Higher

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

What mistake do you think you see?

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

the year on the coin is 1893, not 1894

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an 1894 Peso struck on an 1893 Sol. That's a beautiful example of this issue!

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2020 12:18AM

The 1894 date is clearly visible on the counterstamp. Generally the TPG's make the primary distinction on the coin based on the most recently declared official status -- thus this is a peso of Guatemala and no longer a sol of Peru and the date of the counterstamp has precedence over the date on the host.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

No... see explanation above

Terrific coin and another well done Trueview image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jgenn said:
    The 1894 date is clearly visible on the counterstamp. Generally the TPG's make the primary distinction on the coin based on the most recently declared official status -- thus this is a peso of Guatemala and no longer a sol of Peru and the date of the counterstamp has precedence over the date on the host.

"Grade MS65
    Pedigree C/M-UNC Detail"

JGenn. Coinkat or TwoKopeiki ....I see from the above that PCGS graded the coin 65 ...but what does
    C/M-UNC Detail" ...mean?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    It's an 1894 Peso struck on an 1893 Sol. That's a beautiful example of this issue!

It's actually an 1894 1/2 real struck on an 1893 sol, so yes, there is an error.
    The Guatemalan peso is the same size as the sol, so would have completely covered the host coin.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1894 1/2 real was used and overstruck on several crown size coins from the region. The Sol host coin is available with this over strike on several different dates that extend back into the 1860s. I do not see the use of the 1/2 real as an error but a way of accepting coinage from other countries within the region for use within Guatemala.

As for c/m unc details, I really doubt that matters as that likely applies solely to the host coin and not the Guatemalan 1894 over strike which received the MS65 grade. I hope this short explanation makes sense.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@JesseKraft said:
    It's actually an 1894 1/2 real struck on an 1893 sol, so yes, there is an error.

A half real die was used, but not to mint a half real coin. It's unlikely a half real denominated coin would be created which contains the amount of silver of an eight real (or peso) coin.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@JesseKraft said:

A half real die was used, but not to mint a half real coin. It's unlikely a half real denominated coin would be created which contains the amount of silver of an eight real (or peso) coin.

As Mason said, while it was a 1/2R die, the denomination was a Peso.

• Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clearly I failed to whip out my Krause.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

@JesseKraft said:
    Clearly I failed to whip out my Krause.

Oooh, you left the door wide open on that one buddy.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@jgenn said:

"Grade MS65
    Pedigree C/M-UNC Detail"

JGenn. Coinkat or TwoKopeiki ....I see from the above that PCGS graded the coin 65 ...but what does
    C/M-UNC Detail" ...mean?

This means that the host coin is graded MS65 and the countermark is graded Uncirculated. Since the countermarks can differ from the host coins in condition, it is helpful to have separate grades for the two. A more general “Uncirculated” grade is given to the countermark rather than a precise numerical grade, which would be difficult to apply to many countermarks; the “Details” does not imply that there is an issue such as cleaning or damage, but simply that it is a general grade.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@jgenn said:

"Grade MS65
    Pedigree C/M-UNC Detail"

C/M-UNC Detail" ...mean?

All I can surmise it that there might be hairlines on the C/M area but not the rest of the host? That's hard to reconcile with the overall grade of 65. It's probably the best example of this C/M on this host so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Options

The quality of countermarks is all over the map. Trying to grade them the way you grade struck coins would seem to be an exercise in futility.

• Options

@jgenn said:

@bidask said:

@jgenn said:

"Grade MS65
    Pedigree C/M-UNC Detail"

C/M-UNC Detail" ...mean?

All I can surmise it that there might be hairlines on the C/M area but not the rest of the host? That's hard to reconcile with the overall grade of 65. It's probably the best example of this C/M on this host so I wouldn't worry about it.

PCGS doesn't assign a specific grade to counterstamps, just a details description. Doesnt mean there's something wrong with the counterstamp.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin and thank you for the info.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

I have never heard of grading in this manner, very interesting. Nice coin and c/m for sure.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes sense to me and very interesting to boot! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall