Home Precious Metals
Options

Engelhard Authentication

ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 6, 2020 5:40PM in Precious Metals

I'm just dipping my toe in the silver bar pool and looking for a resource to authenticate Engelhard silver bars. I stumbled
upon All Engelhard which is a great website. Anyone have any other resources?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Comments

• Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much else out there.

Sometimes seasoned collectors can help.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Allengelhard, IS there any better?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Engelhard bars can be weighed and the silver content can be checked with a Sigma machine. Other than that and a visual examination by an experienced silver bar dealer or collector, I don't know what else can be done short of melting it and performing an assay which would of course destroy the bar. The good news is that I've never seen a counterfeit Engelhard bar of 5 oz or larger. The struck one ounce bars of several manufacturers are currently being counterfeited by the Chinese and they don't usually have serial numbers. I've never seen any of the larger Engelhard bars that are fake. China has two eBay style sites (aliexpress.com and DHgate.com) that sells legitimate merchandise but they also have a few sellers that sell counterfeit coins and bars. You should check out what fakes they have for sale since many of these fakes make their way to our country mostly for the flea market trade..

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lets see the bar...

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

Years (decades) ago, there were a string of Engelhard 100 ozers that were “drilled and filled”, but they started off with legit products. I vaguely remember a dealer that had one that was cut in half to show the “work”, but details are lacking now.

Agree with All Engelhard as the standard.