Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

US Olympian Cards / Olympic Athlete Cards Master True Rookie Master List

scottfishvanscottfishvan Posts: 46 ✭✭
edited February 17, 2021 4:18PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I recently started to collect US Olympian Hall of Fame Rookie or Key cards for Athletes. There are so many Olympic series of cards that get released, especially during the 50s-80s and I have compiled what I believe to be a master list of cards that are the true rookies. I am also including a note of what the PSA rookie listed is in their like located here: U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame Rookies, First Year Issue, or Early Key Card. You will find that the PSA listed card can be different than the true rookie - especially if you include Sports illustrated for Kids, various tobacco cards, and various candy, gum and other international cards. Panini Campioni Dello Sport, for instance, has several key rookie cards.

Comments

• Options

**I have made significant progress on collecting this set and here are cards found for Olympians dating from 1902 to 1952.

1902 OGDEN'S LTD. TABS GENERAL INTEREST ALVIN KRAENZLEIN 47

1910 T218 CHAMPIONS CHARLES DANIELS

1910 T218 CHAMPIONS MELVIN SHEPPARD side-face

1910 T218 CHAMPIONS RAY EWRY

1910 WALL, NICHOLS CO. HAWAII SOUVENIER PLAYING CARD DUKE KAHANAMOKU

1912 OLYMPISKA SPELENS STOKHOLM - BREFKORT JIM THORPE 238
    Still working on this one.

1913 T230 PAN HANDLE SCRAP WORLD'S CHAMPION ATHLETES AVERY BRUNDAGE

1921 W551 JOHNNY WEISSMULLER 39

1924 V122 WILLARD CHOCOLATE SPORTS CHAMPIONS JOHN KELLY 16

1926 SPALDING CHAMPIONS CHARLEY PADDOCK

1928 SALEM CIGARETTES DIE WELT IN BILDERN SERIE 112 FRANK WYKOFF 2
    Have in SALEM and MAZETTI

1930 MAZETTI CHOCOLATES ATHLETES HELENE MADISON

1932 SAMMELWERK NR. 6 OLYMPIA 1932 BABE DIDRIKSON 65

1935 MURATTI CIGARETTES - ZWISCHEN OLUMPISCHEN SPIELEN JESSE OWENS 49

1948 TOPPS MAGIC PHOTO TRACK & FIELD CHAMPIONS HARRISON DILLARD 4E

1950 DUTCH GUM CARDS "D" SET - PLAIN TEXT FLOYD PATTERSON D18

1951 BERK ROSS DICK BUTTON 2-17

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great progress! A couple of those look familiar.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2021 2:40PM

Looks great, keep up the good work!

FYI, PSA has the wrong year in their data specs for the Dutch "D" set. It was issued in 1961, not 1950.
    Also, the Svart-vita OS Sportserien set is from 1960, not 1950.
    The earliest issue Floyd Patterson is the 1956 Swedish Rekord Journal.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

FYI, PSA has the wrong year in their data specs for the Dutch "D" set. It was issued in 1961, not 1950.

Thanks for these notes, I definitely saw that there were older Floyd Patterson cards, curious why that one was noted as the rookie. There are at least 2-3 others before it.

• Options

@scottfishvan said:

@miwlvrn said:

Thanks for these notes, I definitely saw that there were older Floyd Patterson cards, curious why that one was noted as the rookie. There are at least 2-3 others before it.

The Boxing News series was issued over many years, and the entire years' span is listed for that set. The Patterson one specifically within it is of course not a 1940's card/premium.

• Options

Next up is 1952 to 1972. The 1952 cards are not numbered correctly as far as I can tell. I have a full set coming and I will likely be able to match the names up and correct the numbers.

1952 KOSMOS OLYMPISCHE SPIELE HELSINKI ANDREA MEAD LAWRENCE 173
    1952 KOSMOS OLYMPISCHE SPIELE HELSINKI BOB MATHIAS 258
    1952 KOSMOS OLYMPISCHE SPIELE HELSINKI JOHN DAVIS 128
    1952 KOSMOS OLYMPISCHE SPIELE HELSINKI MAL WHITFIELD 223
    1952 KOSMOS OLYMPISCHE SPIELE HELSINKI MILT CAMPBELL 259
    1952 KOSMOS OLYMPISCHE SPIELE HELSINKI PARRY O'BRIEN 34
    1952 KOSMOS OLYMPISCHE SPIELE HELSINKI PAT MCCORMICK 296

1954 SPORTEN EN SPELEN IN WOORD EN BEELD BOB RICHARDS 14
    Not yet...

1955 HEINERLE TENLEY ALBRIGHT
    Not yet...

1957 SWEETULE SPORT RECORDS RAFER JOHNSON 4

1960 HEMMETS JOURNAL CASSIUS CLAY 23
    Working on this one...

1960 HEMMETS JOURNAL RALPH BOSTON 32

1960 SWEDISH REKORD JOURNAL GLENN DAVIS

1960 SWEDISH REKORD JOURNAL WILMA RUDOLPH

1961 CLEVEDON CONFECTIONERY THE STORY OF THE OLYMPICS AL OERTER 39

1961 CLEVEDON CONFECTIONERY THE STORY OF THE OLYMPICS BOBBY MORROW 2
    Not yet...

1961 CLEVEDON CONFECTIONERY THE STORY OF THE OLYMPICS CAROL HEISS 9

1963 KTAV PUBLISHING JEWISH SPORTS CHAMPIONS MARK SPITZ

1964 NESTLE LOS JUEGOS OLIMPICOS BOB HAYES 193

1964 NESTLE LOS JUEGOS OLIMPICOS JOE FRAZIER 273
    Not yet...

1967 PANINI CAMPIONI DELLO SPORT WILLIE DAVENPORT 45
    Not yet...

1968 PANINI CAMPIONI DELLO SPORT DEBBIE MEYER 236

1968 PANINI CAMPIONI DELLO SPORT DON SCHOLLANDER 498

1968-1974 HALL OF FAME BOOKMARKS HANK IBA

1969 PANINI CAMPIONI DELLO SPORT BILL TOOMEY 86
    Have - Recovered.

1969 PANINI CAMPIONI DELLO SPORT BOB BEAMON 57
    Have - Recovered.

1969 PANINI CAMPIONI DELLO SPORT DICK FOSBURY 63

1969 PANINI CAMPIONI DELLO SPORT LEE EVANS 18
    Have - Recovered.

1969 PANINI CAMPIONI DELLO SPORT WYOMIA TYUS 92
    Not yet...

1970 PANINI CAMPIONI DELLO SPORT GARY HALL 228
    Not yet...

1972 BERGMANN-VERLAG MUNCHEN '72 SHIRLEY BABASHOFF 163

• Options
    edited February 17, 2021 7:59PM

The 1952 Kosmos set you mention has some other interesting items in it.

no. 146 Henry Cooper/Anatoly Perov is the rookie/first card for UK boxer Henry Cooper.

no. 147 Ed Sanders/Ingemar Johansson has a rookie of an American gold medalist boxer, Sanders, and it is also the rookie card for HOF boxer Ingemar Johansson (same story as w/ Patterson where the Dutch cards, OS one, and the Boxing News one were all issued later than what PSA has in the data specs).

no. 148 Edgar Basel/Nate Brooks is another rookie card of an American gold medalist boxer

• Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭

I'm really enjoying this, thanks for sharing

• Options

I think the spitz is mislabeled. For one thing he was only 13 in 1963 and that would be an amazing stash for a 13 year old.

But here's a link to a complete album, showing the publishing date as 1973. I think PSA is confused with the green KTAV cards from 1963,

This is the one I got for spitz, but there could be an earlier one.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    The 1952 Kosmos set you mention has some other interesting items in it.

no. 146 Henry Cooper/Anatoly Perov is the rookie/first card for UK boxer Henry Cooper.

no. 147 Ed Sanders/Ingemar Johansson has a rookie of an American gold medalist boxer, Sanders, and it is also the rookie card for HOF boxer Ingemar Johansson (same story as w/ Patterson where the Dutch cards, OS one, and the Boxing News one were all issued later than what PSA has in the data specs).

no. 148 Edgar Basel/Nate Brooks is another rookie card of an American gold medalist boxer

That's really good to know! I recently picked up a Kosmos and VEB Reichenbach versions and it appears that there may be some notable athletes in the VEB set... Emil Zatopek, Bob Mathias, Patricia McCormick and #57 Nate Brooks/Edgar Basel/Anatoli Bulakov.

• Options
    scottfishvanscottfishvan Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited February 17, 2021 11:21PM

@Autos4Alex said:
    I think the spitz is mislabeled. For one thing he was only 13 in 1963 and that would be an amazing stash for a 13 year old.

But here's a link to a complete album, showing the publishing date as 1973. I think PSA is confused with the green KTAV cards from 1963,

Glad you're enjoying! It's pretty fun to track these down. I recently submitted a set request to PSA to use the NBC Sports Top 100 Olympians list for a new set. It's about 50/50 US/International. I'm working my way through that list as well.

I do have the 1969 PANINI CAMPIONI DELLO SPORT MARK SPITZ #278, but it looks like yours is 1 year earlier. I'll have to check that one out. I do think PSA is confused by the KTAV set. That set is kind of a mess because you have 2 colors and dotted line vs. no line. Could you share that URL that you have for the 1973 note?

• Options

@scottfishvan said:

@Autos4Alex said:

Glad you're enjoying! It's pretty fun to track these down. I recently submitted a set request to PSA to use the NBC Sports Top 100 Olympians list for a new set. It's about 50/50 US/International. I'm working my way through that list as well.

I do have the 1969 PANINI CAMPIONI DELLO SPORT MARK SPITZ #278, but it looks like yours is 1 year earlier. I'll have to check that one out. I do think PSA is confused by the KTAV set. That set is kind of a mess because you have 2 colors and dotted line vs. no line. Could you share that URL that you have for the 1973 note?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JEWISH-SPORTS-CHAMPS-1973-KTAV-PUBLISHING-HOUSE-MAGAZINE-MINT-CONDITION/233314331473?hash=item36529e2b51:g:qw0AAOSwAopdVcon

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

I was so hoping this was Jackie Joyners rookie! It would make this comic book card even more amazing!

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2021 7:14AM

@Autos4Alex said:

@scottfishvan said:

@Autos4Alex said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JEWISH-SPORTS-CHAMPS-1973-KTAV-PUBLISHING-HOUSE-MAGAZINE-MINT-CONDITION/233314331473?hash=item36529e2b51:g:qw0AAOSwAopdVcon

For the KTAV set, it is my understanding that the Green Border / Orange Background set with the slightly shorter & fatter text font is from 1963, and both the Pink Border / Blue Background / Larger Text set as well as the Pink Border / Yellow Background / Smaller Text set are both from 1973 (same photos and checklist for both Pink sets), but that PSA has labeled both sets the same without differentiating variety & year on the flip or on the data specs. The checklists are not the same. When an athlete appears in both sets though, it seems to have added to PSA's confusion. I think they started grading these items back before there was as much time into researching foreign/oddball items. The pop report could be corrected based on comparing checklists and looking at the photos in the completed auction links for specific cert numbers and then adjusted for the two different years. It is a correction I'd like to see them make.

If you compare the two Pink sets, you'll notice the dashed/dotted lines are different between the two sets. For example, take a look at the Pink Border / Yellow Background Benny Leonard one in this link as compared with the Pink/Blue one pictured above.

https://ebay.com/itm/JEWISH-SPORTS-CHAMPS-1973-KTAV-PUBLISHING-HOUSE-MAGAZINE-MINT-CONDITION/233314331473?hash=item36529e2b51:g:qw0AAOSwAopdVcon

On Spitz, his RC is either/both the 1968 Mira or the 1968 Panini.

• Options
    edited February 18, 2021 7:21AM

@scottfishvan said:
    I recently started to collect US Olympian Hall of Fame Rookie or Key cards for Athletes. There are so many Olympic series of cards that get released, especially during the 50s-80s and I have compiled what I believe to be a master list of cards that are the true rookies. I am also including a note of what the PSA rookie listed is in their like located here: U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame Rookies, First Year Issue, or Early Key Card. You will find that the PSA listed card can be different than the true rookie - especially if you include Sports illustrated for Kids, various tobacco cards, and various candy, gum and other international cards. Panini Campioni Dello Sport, for instance, has several key rookie cards.

The David Robinson USA RC should be the 1986 Merchante one, not the 1987 Kentucky one.

For 1928 Frank Wykoff, it should not be restricted to just the Salem version; the correct thing to do would be to allow for any of the parallel version to fill that line item of the composite, so any of Constantin, Jasmatzi, Josetti, Manoli, Salem or Sulima.

• Options

@jackstraw said:
    I was so hoping this was Jackie Joyners rookie! It would make this comic book card even more amazing.

This is the oldest Jackie card that I have found. It appears to be from a spanish set. 1987 PANINI SUPERSPORT ITALIAN JACKIE JOYNER-KERSEE #61 - You will find many of the 2nd card below listed as her rookie, but I believe the first one is older and more rare.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@scottfishvan said:

The David Robinson USA RC should be the 1986 Merchante one, not the 1987 Kentucky one.

For 1928 Frank Wykoff, it should not be restricted to just the Salem version; the correct thing to do would be to allow for any of the parallel version to fill that line item of the composite, so any of Constantin, Jasmatzi, Josetti, Manoli, Salem or Sulima.

Agreed in the parallels - I am planning to get both graded and add both to the set as options.

Those Merchante cards are really awesome looking - I just did a search and the #1 set on PSA is being sold individually on ebay right now. I see some blazers on there :smile: It seems like there is so much more acceptance and desire for the international cards now - particularly panini stickers from the 70s/80s as they predate some of the US based cards created.

• Options

Next up are 1972 to 1982 cards. We get into heavily Panini Olympics cards and Sportscasters. I believe there may be some older cards for Sugar Ray Leonard, Dorothy Hamill, and Edwin Moses but I haven't seen photos of them yet. Additionally, I will note that the PSA set lists Sportscasters with a certain language or country series - the majority of these are Italian. I am currently looking for the Eric Heiden French version! Also looking for hard to find Panini Goofy Olympique cards.

1972 PANINI MUNICH 72 DAN GABLE 150
    Coming Soon!

1972 PANINI MUNICH 72 FRANK SHORTER 79
    Coming Soon!

1973 PANINI CAMPIONI DELLO SPORT GEORGE FOREMAN 289
    Not yet.

1976 PANINI MONTREAL 76 BRUCE JENNER 149
    This card was relatively difficult to find in good condition.

1976-1979 SPORTSCASTER - FRENCH ERIC HEIDEN 123-10
    Looking for this card. The title says Patinage de vitesse.

1977-1979 SPORTSCASTER - ITALIAN SUGAR RAY LEONARD 22-09

1977-1979 SPORTSCASTER - ITALY DOROTHY HAMILL 04-23

1977-1979 SPORTSCASTER - ITALY EDWIN MOSES 39-12

1977-1979 SPORTSCASTER - ITALY GREG LOUGANIS 79-23

1977-1979 SPORTSCASTER - ITALY JOAN BENOIT 79-02

1977-1979 SPORTSCASTER - ITALY JOHN NABER 02-22

1977-1979 SPORTSCASTER - ITALY MICKI KING 04-11

1977-1979 SPORTSCASTER - ITALY TRACY CAULKINS 66-02

1980 PANINI GOOFY OLYMPIQUE BART CONNER 147
    Looking for this one.

1980 PANINI GOOFY OLYMPIQUE EVELYN ASHFORD 17
    Looking for this one.

1980 PANINI GOOFY OLYMPIQUE MARY MEAGHER 204
    Looking for this one.

1980 USA OLYMPIC TEAM MINI PICS HERB BROOKS 15
    Looking for this one.

1981 PANINI SPORT SUPERSTARS PHIL MAHRE 340

1981 SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTE CHAMPIONS OF AMERICAN SPORT PEGGY FLEMING

1982-1983 INDIANA STATE "SYCAMORE RAMPAGE" BRUCE BAUMGARTNER
    Looking for this one.

• Options

@scottfishvan said:

@jackstraw said:
    I was so hoping this was Jackie Joyners rookie! It would make this comic book card even more amazing.

This is the oldest Jackie card that I have found. It appears to be from a spanish set. 1987 PANINI SUPERSPORT ITALIAN JACKIE JOYNER-KERSEE #61 - You will find many of the 2nd card below listed as her rookie, but I believe the first one is older and more rare.

Rather than the yellow Spanish one, the rarest variety of those early Panini cards is the white Supersport one with Italian language on back, as opposed to the other much more common version w/ Alessandro Nista-#87 on back.

• Options

Up next is 1983 to 1991 cards. Largely Sports Illustrated For Kids and Impel Olympic Hall of Fame Cards.

1983 TOPPS GREATEST OLYMPIANS DONNA DE VARONA 71

1983 TOPPS GREATEST OLYMPIANS EDDIE EAGAN 57

1983 TOPPS GREATEST OLYMPIANS SAMMY LEE 24

1985 POULAIN SERIE 44 GRANDS NOMS DU SPORT CARL LEWIS 18
    Not yet.

1987 AUBURN TIGERS AUBURN GREAT ROWDY GAINES
    Not yet.

1987 KENTUCKY BLUEGRASS STATE GAMES DAVID ROBINSON SC

1987 PANINI SUPERSPORT ITALIAN JACKIE JOYNER-KERSEE 61
    Not yet.

1988 PANINI SUPERSPORT ITALIAN JANET EVANS 115
    Not yet.

1988 PANINI SUPERSPORT ITALIAN MATT BIONDI 112
    Coming

2014 BRIAN BOITANO AUTO #UOC-BBO

1989 S.I. FOR KIDS FLORENCE GRIFFITH-JOYNER 9

1989 S.I. FOR KIDS KARCH KIRALY 71

1989 S.I. FOR KIDS KRISTI YAMAGUCHI 92

This next group isn't rare so here's the list and one photo of all of them!
    I did check these to see if these are their TRUE rookies. Noted by TRUE - if there are others, I have noted those.

1991 IMPEL U.S. OLYMPIC HALL OF FAME ASA SMITH BUSHNELL 78 TRUE

1991 IMPEL U.S. OLYMPIC HALL OF FAME BILLY MILLS 24
    Real True Card is: 1965 Panda Kultamitali Billy Mills Athletics

1991 IMPEL U.S. OLYMPIC HALL OF FAME COL. DON HULL 136 TRUE

1991 IMPEL U.S. OLYMPIC HALL OF FAME DON MILLER 73 TRUE (Exec director)

1991 IMPEL U.S. OLYMPIC HALL OF FAME LEE CALHOUN 81 TRUE

1991 IMPEL U.S. OLYMPIC HALL OF FAME LEROY WALKER 76 TRUE

1991 IMPEL U.S. OLYMPIC HALL OF FAME MARY LOU RETTON 27 TRUE

1991 IMPEL U.S. OLYMPIC HALL OF FAME PETER VIDMAR 84 TRUE

1991 IMPEL U.S. OLYMPIC HALL OF FAME ROBERT KANE 75 TRUE

1991 IMPEL U.S. OLYMPIC HALL OF FAME ROONE ARLEDGE 79 TRUE

1991 IMPEL U.S. OLYMPIC HALL OF FAME SCOTT HAMILTON 46
    Also see: 1992 Sports Illustrated for Kids #13 Scott Hamilton

1991 IMPEL U.S. OLYMPIC HALL OF FAME TOMMY KONO 48
    Also see: TOMMY KONO MICROSTORIA OLIMPAIDI INTREPIDO 1960

1991 IMPEL U.S. OLYMPIC HALL OF FAME WILLIAM SIMON 80

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

Matt Ghaffari...Greco - Roman wrestler I think, won the Silver medal ...is 1991 impel also

• Options

And the final 'official' group for the PSA set... All of these are completed and there are several alternative cards put out in the same year.

Up next will be cards that are not yet in the set, but the athletes are in the HOF.

1991 S.I. FOR KIDS GAIL DEVERS 308

1991 S.I. FOR KIDS MICHAEL JOHNSON 253

1991 S.I. FOR KIDS SHANNON MILLER 296

1991 S.I. FOR KIDS TERESA EDWARDS 223

1992 IMPEL OLYMPICARDS DARA TORRES SWIMMING 72

1992 IMPEL OLYMPICARDS OSCAR DE LA HOYA 23

1992 IMPEL OLYMPICARDS PROTOTYPE DAN O'BRIEN

1992 S.I. FOR KIDS BONNIE BLAIR 6

1992 S.I. FOR KIDS JEAN DRISCOLL 47

1992 S.I. FOR KIDS WILLYE WHITE 100

1993 S.I. FOR KIDS JENNY THOMPSON 146

1993 S.I. FOR KIDS LISA FERNANDEZ 150

1994 SIGNATURE ROOKIES TETRAD DAN JANSEN Autograph 123

1994 SIGNATURE ROOKIES TETRAD PICABO STREET Autograph -797/1050 128

1994 UPPER DECK WORLD CUP SOCCER KRISTINE LILLY 273

1996 UPPER DECK U.S. OLYMPIC ALICE COACHMAN 19

1996 UPPER DECK U.S. OLYMPIC FUTURE CHAMPIONS AMY VAN DYKEN 118

1996 UPPER DECK U.S. OLYMPIC JAMES CONNOLLY 20

1996 UPPER DECK U.S. OLYMPIC MICHAEL PLUMB 58

2004 TOPPS ALL-TIME FAN FAVORITES PETER UEBERROTH 133

• Options

Just got this back from russia after a 3+ year wait. Did I choose the right card?

• Options

@Autos4Alex said:
    Just got this back from russia after a 3+ year wait. Did I choose the right card?

Looks good to me... here's what I have noted as her first and second card.

• Options
    edited January 13, 2023 11:10AM

@miwlvrn said:

@Autos4Alex said:

@scottfishvan said:

@Autos4Alex said:

For the KTAV set, it is my understanding that the Green Border / Orange Background set with the slightly shorter & fatter text font is from 1963, and both the Pink Border / Blue Background / Larger Text set as well as the Pink Border / Yellow Background / Smaller Text set are both from 1973 (same photos and checklist for both Pink sets), but that PSA has labeled both sets the same without differentiating variety & year on the flip or on the data specs. The checklists are not the same. When an athlete appears in both sets though, it seems to have added to PSA's confusion. I think they started grading these items back before there was as much time into researching foreign/oddball items. The pop report could be corrected based on comparing checklists and looking at the photos in the completed auction links for specific cert numbers and then adjusted for the two different years. It is a correction I'd like to see them make.

If you compare the two Pink sets, you'll notice the dashed/dotted lines are different between the two sets. For example, take a look at the Pink Border / Yellow Background Benny Leonard one in this link as compared with the Pink/Blue one pictured above.

https://ebay.com/itm/JEWISH-SPORTS-CHAMPS-1973-KTAV-PUBLISHING-HOUSE-MAGAZINE-MINT-CONDITION/233314331473?hash=item36529e2b51:g:qw0AAOSwAopdVcon

On Spitz, his RC is either/both the 1968 Mira or the 1968 Panini.

There is one additional Spitz RC issued in 1968 that is worth mentioning. He has card no. 241 in the Edicao Agencia Portuguesa Revistas - Atletas Mexico 68. APR, as they are more commonly known, is/was a major card manufacturer based in Portugal with licensed sets, issued as a would-be competitor to Panini in Portugal, on the same/similar scope as Mira in Italy for example. There are several different APR sets in the PSA data specs from that era and the items in this set are eligible for grading.

https://athleticards.com/cdAtoC.html

https://athleticards.com/c_atletas68.html

BTW, two years later, the PSA data specs department still does not seem to have taken action to correct their information on the 1963 vs. 1973 KTAV sets. Still hoping they will see this thread and implement the change.