Home Q & A Forum
Options

1938 Wheat cent almost uncirculated Red with die clash

Has anyone ever come across anything clashed with a 1938 Wheat? I can see some lettering under the microscope that looks like AMER and a shape next to the LIBERTY portion on the obverse. I'm brand new to collecting and I am not sure if it's worth submitting to PCGS to have them check it out. I wouldn't even know where to start with that submission form anyway. It reads like a VCR manual. LOL Any help would be greatly appreciated. I wish I could post a pic here.

Comments

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Awesome point. I didn't know I could post a photo. So here's a few. I drew some lines around what are clear impressions on the face of the coin. They aren't die scratches or surface scratches. At first I thought I was matrixing the images but as I move the coin around and change lighting positions the impressions are the same and more clear. Thanks for looking at the pictures!

• Options

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its very difficult to determine anything from your pictures. A shot of the full obverse might help. Minor die clashes rarely add a significant premium to throw value of the coin. Maybe a few bucks if it's strongly clashed. The full obverse pic might provide enough info.

I would wait before sending it in.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Thank you so much. I will add an overview. It's clashed on the obv. all the way around. but because the impressions are hard to see in a picture I didn't add it. Hopefully it's a better overall view now. I included one shot with no outlines of where the impressions and letters are and one with (the lines are not on the indentations but next to them. The impression goes all the way round the entire coin and some parts you can see have what looks like reed lines in some shapes. There's a bunch of lint on the plastic on the flip but those are not scratches or anything related to the coin. The gray area is the indentations. The letters are harder to make out at a distance but with a loop or microscope they are pretty clear. I have a medical condition which makes my hands shaky so apologies for the outlines being a bit crazy looking.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

A clashed die occurs when a planchet fails to enter the chamber and the dies strike each other. The highest points on the dies, which are the fields of the coin get hit the hardest. You would not expect to see clash marks on the lowest parts of the die, which would be the highest areas of Lincoln’s portrait. Your coin has marks on Lincoln’s shoulder and head, which are the lower points of the die and that isn’t going to happen

In addition, the clash marks should match up with the image on the opposite side of the coin. I can’t see anything in your pics that resembles the Wheat reverse.

The site www.maddieclashes.com has overlays so you can see where the clash marks should be located

The marks on your coin just appear to be stray scratches and contact marks, IMO. The marks above the date could be a minor strike through,(I can't tell for sure), but all of the with the other scratches and marks it's probably post mint damage as well

http://www.maddieclashes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ClashWH-TEST-copy2.jpg

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not seeing anything unusual about this coin look IMHO looks to be scratches and some dings
    also looks to be a die crack near the d in GOD

but overall just a common penny IMHO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options

@ProfHaroldHill Thank you for looking. I was able to take photographs with a macrolens and my professional camera. It looks like the outline of a wreath from a shield nickel. You can also see stars and lettering. My cellphone photographs were horrible and you couldn't see anything. Even with the naked eye you can see what looks like leaves all over it and with a loop you see them even better. The photos taken while it was still in a Mylar flip covered in cardboard lint makes it nearly impossible to see anything. I'm working with Heritage on a capped bust collection I inherited and sent them the professional shots. It was intriguing enough that Heritage wants to see it and have their experts check it out so, fingers crossed it's something new. If not at least it is a pretty coin. LOL - I'll update when I know!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

You shall enjoy maddieclashes.com and doubleddie.com Save both for continued reference. I try not to image a coin thru a flip, the reflective interference and detritus is not helpful. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall