Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Philippines 1912-s 20 Centavos

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2020 2:21PM

This 1912-s 20 Centavos was the single coin that did not grade as I had anticipated. It is not uncommon for coins from the Philippines to sustain spots attributable to environmental conditions. This coin had its share. The date is not necessarily rare in MS, but it can be elusive. Our hosts have graded 20 MS... I suppose 21 if you count this one as an unc details in the total. The lustre in this coin is subdued and muted to the point that perhaps that was the deciding factor in giving the coin a details grade. Regardless of the opinion, the coin still possesses a look. It may not be for everyone, but one should also contemplate the surviving population in the thought process.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

Always loved these types. Perfect bridge coin between my darkside collection and my dad's passion for US types. Very nice!

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Don't know if I'm statistically correct in terms of POP/Census, but I've always found the 20 centavos series to be the toughest to collect in mint state, especially with nice eye appeal. I think one of the reasons for the explosion in prices recently for the whole USPI series is there simply aren't enough nice examples to satisfy the new generation of collectors. Mintages are generally low and not many pieces were put away and cared for over the years. Folks who started collecting nice pieces 20+ years ago are very happy right now. Here's my best example.