Home Sports Talk

October 5, 2014

countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 5, 2022 5:56AM in Sports Talk

Several notable things happened on this date in baseball history.

"He is moving like a tremendous machine!"
Billy Freaking Butler stole a base. Aybar did his best to hang tough, bless his heart, but I laugh no matter how many times I watch him bail out at the end as "Country Breakfast", aka, the "Billdozer" comes roaring in there with a full head of steam!

And then Bill-Dawg got up, looked towards the dugout and his fellow speedsters, and revved it up! 'Cuz that's what speed do!

Then, just a short time later, with runners on and the Angels desperately trying to save their season, Lorenzo Cain ripped the heart out of the Angels team with two unbelievable 5-star catches coming off the bats of back to back hitters.

The first occurred as he was running towards a sinking line drive in left field.

The next ball was another sinking line drive, this time into short right field. That pretty much ended whatever fight the Angels were going to put up on this night.

The third, and probably most notable thing that occurred in that game, was the very last postseason at bat of Mike Trout's career. It ended just like you'd imagine, with explosions and sparks going off at the end, a la "The Natural". Of course, there wasn't a homerun trot for Trout. Rather, another swing and a miss for strike 3 to end the game for the second night in a row, causing the Royals to pour out of the dugout as fireworks lit up the sky. Mike got a good look at the rocket show as he took his walk of shame back to the dugout.

Ahhhh...the memories...

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

😂😂😂😂 That look on Trout's face is priceless.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just knew there was going to be a part of that post devoted to Trout. I just knew it!
    Had to wait for it, and the Count delivers in the clutch like Brett hammering a Gossage fastball!

My favorite part is, "the very last postseason at bat of Mike Trout's career". LOL.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Love the post!

It was a wonderful run, ruined by that Bumgarner bully.

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like it was yesterday. We went to game six of the WS. Game 7 wasn't ruined by the Bumgarner bully. It was the 3 base coach not sending Gordon home.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2022 5:57AM

:)

Another year, same ol' Trouty!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, he has the size to play outside linebacker. of course, after the very first hit, he would be out on the PUP list waiting for next season.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2023 8:23PM

And in related news, the Angels have just placed Trouty on the 810 day disabled list. The move from angels management is thought to be an indication of confidence that they can count on their IL star to continue to miss games at an historic pace.
    “We would like to see Trout set the record for most time on IL and also go down in history as the greatest player to play approximately 18-20%
    of the time.”
    When asked for a comment Trouty whined, ‘I have another boo boo’ 😥

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.