Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My newest Moroccan Benduqi

Well, this makes three now. I keep seeing these and they're just so cool! The crude charm of these hammered coins appeals to me.

This particular coin is from AH1272, (which is 1855 AD). It is raw, and about the size of a US dime. It was struck in Fes Hazrat (when the Sultan lived in the city, it was given the honorific "Hazrat"). These gold coins had a very low mintage, because gold was not a common metal in Morocco. These benduqi have an even lower survival rate, because they were often used as decoration or melted.

Both sides of the coin have the same simple design - the date and mint name surrounding a rose.

So, tell me what you think!

Post any crudely struck gold coins you might have, and tell us about them.

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2020 5:58PM

A very nice old Moroccan coin!

Mark Twain encountered one of these Moroccan gold coins in 1867 during his trip to Europe and the Middle East:

From The Innocents Abroad, published in 1869, Chapter 8 (Morocco):

They have also a small gold coin worth two dollars.

And that reminds me of something. When Morocco is in a state of war, Arab couriers carry letters through the country and charge a liberal postage. Every now and then they fall into the hands of marauding bands and get robbed. Therefore, warned by experience, as soon as they have collected two dollars’ worth of money they exchange it for one of those little gold pieces, and when robbers come upon them, swallow it. The stratagem was good while it was unsuspected, but after that the marauders simply gave the sagacious United States mail an emetic and sat down to wait.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    physicsfan314physicsfan314 Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

Well now, Willie, that is an absolutely fascinating piece of history. Thanks!