Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cert # intentionally deactivated message

I recently bought this PSA 9 2008 Topps Chrome Matt Ryan card on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Topps-Chrome-Matt-Ryan-PSA-9-RC-Hot-Card-/373235155638?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=9amk%2FVJsLNp6cq2c4wMj4vU9H%2Fg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

When I went to add it to my registry, I got this message:

The certification number provided, #26850055, has been intentionally DEACTIVATED in the database.

I'm rather puzzled by this because I doubt there were any shenanigans involving a $46 card. I'm hoping this is an error. I have an email in to PSA inquiring as much. Has anyone else here run into this issue?

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2020 1:17AM

This happened to me , albeit a card that was graded long ago, and the explanation was that PSA had intentionally did this because they were not sure whether or not it was tampered with! No emails or pictures are going to change their mind, sorry! Basically I had Jackie, who is fantastic take care of it. Had to mail it back to them via FedEx and the whole process took about 7 -8 days and cost me nothing...!

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

While it’s nice that you can get it resolved it is also disconcerting that they can just choose to deactivate a Cert whenever they want.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

I guess I see this one differently. As an authenticator, it seems like PSA has no choice if they feel authenticity has been compromised.

Jason

• Options
    GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

I had this happen to me once and it turned out the card I bought had been reported stolen.

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a card I bought over 20 years ago from a reputable dealer . . . just tried adding to my Set Registry Inventory
    I sent an email with pictures . . . I will wait and see

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

They also do it when cards have been stolen from the originally submitter. I speak from experience.