Home Q & A Forum

Are the curved 2019 Apollo 11 commemoratives supposed to get TruView pix with Gold Shield service?

stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, Yeah I'm new. Been collecting since 1976. Started with the Bicentennial proofs. Got hooked on mirror like proofs.
I got hooked this year on getting my collection graded by PCGS. Sent a few orders into PCGS - selected Gold Shield for all of them.

2 of my orders had 2019 Apollo 11 commemorative curved proofs in them. ALL of my coins got the TruView pix created - sever versions and all in the database. Consistently these Apollo 11s do not have these pix. There is a pic from the cert page for these however.
When I contacted PCGS they told me to use the cert page pix (in 1 case the same pic file was used for 2 certifications, probably because they had the same grade, but still).

Is this a known issue? Anybody else have this experience? Is there some technical reason these done get in the TruView db?

I searched, but did not find any specific discussion. Thanks.

Answers

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stawick

Welcome to the forum.

I have been considering 'Gold Shield' for my next submission to PCGS. As such, I have been investigating the service.

Based on my research, I believe that:
    1) "TrueView Photography is included at no additional cost on all PCGS Gold Shield™ Submissions submitted to the PCGS U.S. office."
    Attached File: TrueView Included with Gold Shield Submissions
    Source: https://www.pcgs.com/trueview
    2) There are no 'TrueView' restrictions specific to your coins. In fact, "no restrictions apply.
    If PCGS certifies or grades the coin, you can have it photographed using TrueView.
    "
    Attached File: No Restrictions on TrueView
    Source: https://www.pcgs.com/trueview

In sum, it appears that:
    ~ you are entitled to 'TrueView' images of your Apollo 11 coins.
    ~ PCGS is capable of 'TrueView' photography of your Apollo 11 coins.
    ~ you should have received 'TrueView' images of your Apollo 11 coins.

If no one else responds with salient information, you may want to contact PCGS again to discuss remedies.

• stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2020 9:22AM

Thanks for the reply MetroD. I've done a bunch of research at various PCGS sources and came up with the same conclusion. It just looks like someone didnt follow through. The original response I got was Gold Shield didnt meant TruView, but I pointed out as you did that the PCGS info (online and in their PDF form) contradicts that.

It seemed to be consistent with these Apollo 11s, so was curious if there was some technical reason, or if anyone else had the same experience. I have (in most cases) some form of photo (had to figure it out). I could always take my own amateur pix in a pinch. Just not sure its worth the effort to pursue. I may contact them again.

BTW, these proof 5oz silvers look GREAT in the oversized holders. I took advantage of the recent summer special - no return shipping fee, and 1/2 price oversized holders.

(Might as well share a pic I just loaded) -

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stawick,

Despite the fact that the PCGS site says that they can image "any coin", there might still be a technical issue with the Apollo 11. If this is the case, hopefully another member will post about it.

If you do decide to contact PCGS again, you might want to do it via the form at the bottom of https://www.pcgs.com/trueview. It appears that this contact form goes directly to the 'TrueView' department.

FWIW, your "amateur pix(s)" are better than I could have done. :)

Good Luck!

• stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, those are nice. I appreciate your input. Thx.
    Those pix are not mine - thats the "cert" link photo (I think thats my "70" 5 oz). Mine would be "rank" amateur ... I know from some guitar pix I've taken (my other hobby). lol
    I may contact the TruView link - I've seen that before and was tempted.