Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Conder token rarity

Im just curious. I have been collecting conder tokens for a few years now based basically how much I like them and bidding accordingly. Im just curious what books our conder friends use to gauge the rarity (mintage and survival or something) of tokens considering so many conders aren't graded even in high grades which make NGC or PCGS census innacruate.

Comments

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original Dalton and Hamer (D&H) assigned rarity designations to each token, and separately by edge lettering, etc. The D&H compilation is not more than 100 years old, and has had some revisions to those rarities.

I have a copy of D&H revised by Alan Davisson and Bill McKivor - I believe it's called the 2015 revision, but it actually came out in early 2016 if I recall. It has revisions of rarities based on years and years of experience dealing in the tokens by those two gentlemen.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

That’s a great question. I’ve noticed in some of the auction catalogues I’ve reviewed over the years that they will sometimes give an exact known mintage, and I wonder where those numbers came from. Sometimes it might be 8, others times it might be 24 or 75. It would be great if more of that information would be made available.

As for pricing, token lovers tend to pay up for what they really like, myself included.

I brake for ear bars.