Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Baseball Rookie Cards US Caramel vs Goudey

Looking for an opinion on what brand is consider a rookie card; 1932 US Caramel (issued in 1933) or 1933 Goudey. Ex Jimmie Foxx, Rogers Hornsby, etc.
mike

Tagged:

Comments

• scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 10:53AM

Mike,

The "what constitutes a rookie card" issue will be debated forever.

Following is a link to a great discussion on Net54 that includes an exceptional list of the rookie cards of hall of famers.

https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=141603

Enjoy!

Scott

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yankees78 said:
    Looking for an opinion on what brand is consider a rookie card; 1932 US Caramel (issued in 1933) or 1933 Goudey. Ex Jimmie Foxx, Rogers Hornsby, etc.
    mike

I would consider neither Foxx's rookie card.

I am not an expert on cards from this era, but 1932 would be the earlier card even if not issued until 1933.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

whichever one has the rc shield logo on it. oh wait..

• graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

I like the Old Cardboard list for pre-war cards because it generally lists the first five. It’s nice to have options since there are lots of debates about what is a “card” and what is a “rookie” in the pre-war space, and many of the early cards are very rare or very expensive or both.

https://oldcardboard.com/ref/rookies/RookiesList.asp

• AANVAANV Posts: 326 ✭✭✭

I think that being a multi-sport set as well as having limited distribution would be two factors against any card being a true rookie card in the US Caramel set.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AANV said:
    I think that being a multi-sport set as well as having limited distribution would be two factors against any card being a true rookie card in the US Caramel set.

IMO, limited distribution should have nothing to do with it.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Foxx's RC is the Exhibit PC back, the W560 or the R315.

America's Great Boxing Cards, Exhibit And Related Sports Arcade Cards...I wrote 'em.
  • AANVAANV Posts: 326 ✭✭✭

@dustinspeaks said:
    Why would being part of a multi sport set disqualify a card from being a rookie card? There are a ton of great athletes who have rookie cards in multi sport sets.

Which baseball players have their true rookie card recognized as part of a multi-sport set?

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

@AANV said:

@dustinspeaks said:
    Why would being part of a multi sport set disqualify a card from being a rookie card? There are a ton of great athletes who have rookie cards in multi sport sets.

Which baseball players have their true rookie card recognized as part of a multi-sport set?

Tony Lazzeri, Paul Waner and Mickey Cochrane (1925 Spalding Champions).

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."