Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will we have beautiful coins again? US Mint wants rivals to St. Gaudens, Brenner and Weinman!

2»

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why worry with new designs, reuse some of our old designs or some of our old patterns that weren't used. They are absolutely beautiful designs just sitting on shelves and we are worried about clown coins. Doesn't make sense.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2020 6:33PM

@tincup said:

@crazyhounddog said:
    As long as the humanity has left the building I won’t expect much. Everything is done by computers now a days. From the design all the way down to the cutting of the dies are done by machine and I for one don’t like it. I want hands on again.

This is certainly the view I have also. The older designs... were engraved by hand, giving a personal touch, with nuances and minute imperfections that ended up giving the coin character and warmth.

In contrast, I find the modern renditions rather sterile... while CAD programs can certainly aid in moving elements around to balance designs, and experiment with many designs and concepts, they tend to make things too 'perfect' and thus the sterile bland feel. And of course the trend for politically correct themes/continual focus do not help either (IMO).

There's certainly a part of that, but I feel an equal issue with modern coins is that the best specimens often don't wear much and don't have time to tone. When coins aren't used in circulation they don't develop the character that makes one coin stand out from the next.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@matt_dac said:
    I also liked the Apollo 11 commem:

As do I. I think the Mint did an excellent job on that one.

Here's a French design that I think has great artistic merit. I have an AU-UNC set of them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file