Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Price Guide Value for Morgan Dollars is Increasing

mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been following the PCGS Price Guide for Morgan Dollars for at least a year now and haven't seen any price increases until just last week. It looks like PCGS has increased the price guide value for 1878-1880 Morgans which leads me to believe they are making updates to the rest of the series. This makes me feel better about some of the Morgans I purchased on eBay for the former price guide value which are now up 5-7%. I think this change is largely due to more online transactions in the hobby and prices being driven up. I'm looking forward to seeing their updates for the rest of the series.

Here's a link if you are interested: https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/morgan-dollar/744/most-active

Comments

• mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Yeah but if you have an 1879-CC in MS65PL you just got screwed out of $10k :D

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 6:18AM

That’s good news. It seems lately these have increased on CPG as well and one has to bid more on auctions.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    That’s good news. It seems lately these have increased on CPG as well and one has to bid more on auctions.

A good sign for coins. Hopefully many of the new collectors will stay with us.

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if market prices will increase now too or stay the same.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:

It seems like market prices are increasing.

@AlanSki said:

Where do you think the price guide prices come from?

• foraiurforaiur Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

@mothra454 said:

Unsold Ebay auction ask prices?

@mothra454 said:

@AlanSki said:

Show me recent sales that match the guides. If you can I'll admit you are right.

• mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a coin is graded PCGS/CAC I frequently see them sell for the full PCGS price guide value. If it is in PCGS holder without CAC they typically sell for 10-20% below PCGS price guide value.

@mcarney1173 said:
    If a coin is graded PCGS/CAC I frequently see them sell for the full PCGS price guide value. If it is in PCGS holder without CAC they typically sell for 10-20% below PCGS price guide value.

I've noticed this too.

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 10:19AM

I just bought some non-CAC Morgans through Great Collections and ended up about 15% back of price guide, all in (shipping and buyers fee included). About 25% below based on winning bid. A lot of the ones I was looking at went for quite a bit more, comparatively.
    Even though I won my coins for right at my top bid, I felt like I got a decent deal based on my view of the quality of the coins I won, and the ones I didn’t win or even bid on.
    Time will tell if I just got them at the height If the market, but others seemed to be willing to go much higher on similar stuff.

Note - mine are NGC, but my eyeball test didn’t note much difference, at least this weekend or in recent auctions, based on PCGS/NGC.

Edit for additional comparison - I got an IHC for 63% of price guide, all in.
    All wins were below, or at the low end of recent auction results according to PCGS.

@AlanSki said:

@mothra454 said:

@AlanSki said:

Show me recent sales that match the guides. If you can I'll admit you are right.

I'm sure I could dig up some recent sales that are pretty close, and I know there are lots of sales below those prices as others have mentioned. My point is that their prices come from somewhere, and even if they represent only limited B&M store sales at higher prices than we are willing to pay, that's still part of the "market".

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also observed price increases for the Morgan dollars, only in the early years, to 1880. Is PCGS in the habit of only updating several years of a coin series at a time? I have not observed this, but I hope it is true (stronger prices).

Vplite99
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are silver, silver has risen to the moon.....of course the price increases.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 2:00PM

@AUandAG said:
    They are silver, silver has risen to the moon.....of course the price increases.

bob :)

If you were being serious... It’s not nearly that easy. It wasn’t mentioned what grades and price levels were affected. Or what the price of silver was when either the previous or current values were posted.

The price of silver shouldn’t affect other than lower value/generics. And that price came back down a long way from the moon, too.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file