Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1968 Willie Mays Buy- what grade?

Bought this for $200. What grade do you think it will receive? I am hoping at least a 9!?!

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see a 9 here at all. Centering is off and bottom corners look a bit soft.

Hopefully I am wrong.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

It looks better in person but thanks for the honesty.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Norcal said:
    It looks better in person but thanks for the honesty.

You're welcome. Scans can make cards look better or worse than they actually are.

I see wear on back bottom corner, can't see the other corner. Card also looks 60/40 to the right and low.

Here's a picture of my Killebrew that graded a 9 for comparison;

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice card but I think it would only grade a 7. I don't like the lower corner.

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Th bottom right corner has a little wear. You can see it better on the back. The centering l-r and t-b look slightly off for a 9.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I hear "at least" a 9 that tells me that you believe there is a chance at a 10. You may want to take a look at that soft corner again and temper your expectations a bit.

In my opinion, which admittedly means very little, if it even grades (due to the fact that it measures slightly thinner across the top than it does on the bottom), I would expect a 6 and do a happy dance if I got a 7. Still a great looking card of a superstar no matter what the grade.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

6.5-7

• Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your opinions everyone. I am looking more at that corner and it’s definitely soft. I will send it in and let you know the results.
    Be safe!

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

6 at best. Sorry that you spent so much. Might have been better to just buy the best psa 7 that you could.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Decent 7.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

No way that gets a 9. It's OC and has a corner ding. PSA 6 at best unfortunately. Real nice 68 Mays though!

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭