Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anyone here collect coins from Finland?

Greetings, tout le monde. After a very long hiatus both Collectors Universe and across the street have given me the right foot of fellowship (meaning I can't log in under my original name any more).

Now that I'm stuck in trying to find the scarcest of coins to complete some old type sets I've been working on, I'd like to start collecting coins from Finland. This was inspired by reading about the Winter War, and now I'm smitten by the Little Country That Could.

Does anyone have a good source for the coins of old Suomi? I'm especially interested in coins after they gained independence.

Kiitos!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Hi Shiroh, i had the same problem ... and naming response!
    Are you also interested in the Euro issues?

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Hi Shiro, welcome back! Know nothing about Finland. Just wanted to say hi.

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Welcome back!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just afew here and there. Nothing exceedingly rare.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

I've bought a few pieces of the imperial coinage out of Heritage and would also like to get some of the earlier independence coins. They were all going for strong money, especially if in 65 or better.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see you!

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

Once upon a time, I had some decent Finnish coins and could wax on about them extemporaneously. Now I require my spreadsheet and a bit of hunting to find the right box. I'll see what I can find and send a PM if I do [find anything].

As a younger lad I won a scholarship of which the prize included a trip to Finland's embassy in Washington, D.C. for the celebratory gala. That's as far as I've gotten to visiting Finland. Perhaps someday!

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

@colincmr2 said:
    Hi Shiroh, i had the same problem ... and naming response!
    Are you also interested in the Euro issues?

For now I'm going to start with anything from independence until now. I'd hoped to be able to buy directly from the Finnish Mint, but apparently that's not possible now. The 100th anniversary of independence may be a good place to start for Euro issues.

• Options

Another one ...

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

Paul how have you still not broken 2k posts? :D

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

I'm mostly a lurker, but will post the occasional coin. My coin time is limited, and mostly spent looking for purchases.