Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA question about the backlog

slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 28, 2020 7:06PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I have around 20-30 cards about to send in as my first ever batch . the cards range from T206's to 1987 topps (had to edit) . I know there is a huge backlog of cards there at the moment.. should i wait for them to catch up or just send the batch in ? . ill be glad to load pics of the cards am sending in if wish to see them .

Comments

• Options

thanks . this will be my first group that ill have sent in . am hoping it will do well .. any idea of how far backlogged it is at the moment ?

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

@slimies said:
    thanks . this will be my first group that ill have sent in . am hoping it will do well .. any idea of how far backlogged it is at the moment ?

A Semi Joke was made here, that when ones Grand Children run across this Thread, maybe the Grades will have Popped for Grandpa recently!!! :D:D:D

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Wait till it slows down.......LOL

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slimies said:

If you don't want to wait, you can always send them in at a higher service level. Might not make sense on some of the newer stuff.

Post a few scans of what you are thinking of sending in and you will get some good opinions/advice!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Here’s some of the batch am sending in

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

If you don't want to wait, you can always send them in at a higher service level.

this right here. yes it costs more.......a lot more......but this is your only panacea if turnaround times are driving you to drink. the bottleneck has been going on for years and has only gotten worse over time, so waiting for them to catch up doesn't seem like a viable course of action unless your name is Methuselah.

i sent a card in via express a couple of months ago and had it back in my hands in 10 days..........so fast that a bizarre feeling overwhelmed me like i needed to pay more

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slimies said:
    Here’s some of the batch am sending in

That is an incredibly diverse bunch!

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 79 card collectors club order that was received 8/23 just logged this afternoon! So just over 4 weeks, down from 7 from when I sent in. PSA is making PROGRESS and getting there if you just give them time. Which nobody really seems to do anymore. Send em in! Good luck!

• Options

I might send just the ones given as gifts and hold the others for later . just got hit by bunch of bills so am short funded now . i'll see how those ones do

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are trying to make a few dollars selling these, you need to be more selective. Not sure why you want to grade some of them.

Definitely send in the T206 Grimshaw!

1987 Topps Bo is centered too low, Fleer Puckett looks like it has bad corners, the Frank Thomas card on the right is off center.

The Topps Puckett looks nice if the top left corner is sharp. The Favre rookie is centered low and bottom corners look bad.

Do a little research before sending in any newer cards. They are rarely worth submitting if not a PSA 10 and in a few cases a 9.

The 1959 Banks card is in pretty rough condition. A PSA 3 went for $27.00. Yours might not grade a 3.

In the future it would be helpful to have a dark background for pictures. A scanner works better than cel phone picks too.

There's definitely some nice cards there!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

You’ve gotten some good feedback here. I’ll put my spin on a few things.

• I’ve definitely gotten cards slabbed that “weren’t worth it”. I’ve done it for sentimental reasons in some cases. I’ve done it to chase the registry in others. Only you can decide “if it’s worth it”

• paying up For service level will get your cards back faster, and it’s going to be that way for a long, long while. The days of monthly specials at $6/ card are over

• know that if you combine the two bullets above, you will almost certainly not get back what you have into those specific cards upon sale. You have a fun, diverse lot, but there are condition issues, TBH.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would consider checking out photos on ebay to compare the cards you are considering submitting to various grades. Unless some of the modern cards are sentimental, I would urge you to reconsider submitting those.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited September 30, 2020 6:34AM

None are for sale . The Kirby Puckett and the gwynn were gifts . And the banks was my very first vintage card purchase. The Faulkner was last gift from mom before she passed . I’ll try the scanner again next time load in pics.

• Options

I’ll probably hold off sending them in , looking at them better I can see the stuff you’re talking about. One said to send in the grimshaw, I’d like advice before sending just that one in and see what the rest think first.

• Options

Puckett cards are hot right now but only in 9-10 condition. I would say yours look 5-7'ish from the scans. If you are looking to slab them for yourself, great. If you are looking to sell, you won't get the grading fees (and return postage) back.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options

I think for now ill just keep em in the holders they are in .. they are more sentimental and have no plans to sell so i may pass them to my nephew some day down the road.