Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The "Corrosion" is correct, yet do you agree with the "FN12 Details" net grade?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an Ike that if problem free would probably grade out at AG to GD4, no? I don't see the details necessary for a Fine grade.
Your thoughts?

peacockcoins

hjm.jpg 416.8K
jkl.jpg 380.9K

Comments

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good details maybe not 12

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse is way too weak for a grade of Fine IMO.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see a fine either.... maybe a mechanical mistake?

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. And still worth exactly one dollar.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Usually when the lettering around the rims is disappearing that means Good or less.

This coin shows how the main devices of the bust and the eagle can protect the lettering at their closest points. Especially visible in the letters between the chin and neck and the eagles wing tip on the right.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

AG03-

• Options
    edited September 28, 2020 11:19PM

@CaptHenway said:
    Agreed. And still worth exactly one dollar.

See? That wasn't nice. It's worth more than face value to me. I collect lowball coins, and although this one isn't problem-free (and was thus reflected in the price I paid), it's a fun part of the hobby I've enjoyed throughout the years.

I know it's only an opinion and who cares, right? Yet the constant "it's only worth face value..." comments get old as it brings a bit of unnecessary misery. Of course, many people feel the same way. Even I do when it comes to collecting AU58+ coins. Why pay $250.00 for a Kennedy half? Yet I didn't add a comment to another thread as those who do find these coins interesting should be allowed to collect unencumbered by my negative thoughts/opinion.

With that stated, your thoughts are valuable on coins as a former grader yourself.
    If you are open to adding to the discussion, what would you grade this Ike out?

peacockcoins

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with your point on the whole, but something else looks funny with the coin given how unevenly it's been worn. Is the strike very uneven? Is there just really uneven wear (in which case, is that it's own problem--how does that happen)? Is there some fine corrosion beyond what's seen in the photos that lead to those soft areas, and the grade should be based largely on the bust, which is the part of the coin with the strongest details?

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

the rims are too strong for G4. There is something else going on like a weak adjustment strike.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having some experience with pocket pieces, I think that the wear patterns are consistent with a pocket piece AG-3. Not sure how it got the corrosion. Must have been retired or lost in a damp place for a while.

And you did ask for thoughts, not just opinions on grading.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it's a fine, although I admit I don't think I've seen one this worn.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

The wear pattern looks odd. Rims are full, moon and inner part of letters are gone. Not really sure what to make of the grade, but I wouldn't have said F12.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2020 1:41PM

Excellent points. It is odd the rims are full yet UNITES STATES OF is partially worn away (next to a full rim). Plus the L and Y are missing next to a full rim. IN GOD WE TRUST is partially odd looking as to the wear pattern yet again, the rim is full. I'll take a better look upon its arrival.

peacockcoins

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see what the reeds look like. Possibly in a bezel and worn as a necklace?

• Options

I plan to remove it from the ANACS holder upon its arrival and remove the corrosion. I will check the reeding then.

peacockcoins

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 6:19PM

Is it possible that there are so few of these around, that the graders really don't know how to grade them?

These happens with some frequency with certain varieties of bust halves, for example. The 1809 O-105 "weak chin" variety comes to mind. I know, I know, that is a variety with "strike" issues, but the point is that inexperience combined with an unusual coin leads to a larger amount of variance in grading opinions.

It is a difficult piece to grade, with AG rims, but a fair amount of meat on the main devices. I know I have not seen enough of these to know how to grade them.

Tom

• Options

I've also seen this grading phenomenon with low grade early commemoratives.

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file