Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

So Does E-Bay Limit a Sellers Discount or Self Reduction on Shipping Charges!

Evening,

So a Buyer contacted me with 3 hours to go on several Auctions asking if I would give a discount and combine shipping? My listings already state Combined Shipping rates, so I told him yes and shipping for 5 each Tall Boys would be $9 (Same as Combined in my Listings). I told him wait for them to end and I would Re-list after they ended with a %15 discount on the two $99 items and %10 on the 3 each $45-$50 items. He said he wanted them and bid on them and then won all 5.

So I go to send the Invoice at a $43 discount, and $9 shipping and E-Bay gives me an Error.......Try Again later...... 5 times. I knew this was not really a problem, but E-Bays manipulation, so gave up on shipping (Reverted to $25) and reduced Discount to $38 (E-bay noted that my max discount was $38.73), then of course my Invoice goes through. Told Buyer I would refund the $21 from his Paypal payment.

So are they now or have been limiting how much you as the Seller can offer for Discounts on Cost and Shipping? If it wouldn't have been within the last 12 hours I would have just ended the listings and re-listed them with the discounted prices!

Sheesh.....it just never ends!

Vent Over!

YeeHah!

Neil

Comments

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm confused. You gave a discount on auction wins?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shipping to one person saves a lot of money.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

I think ebay is glitching right now. I have a long time seller who sent me an invoice and I can't pay it. I keep getting an error message. I have bought from this guy dozens of times before. They must be changing something again. Can't just leave it well enough alone there.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm blaming managed payments for all the glitching going on right now.

• thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    I'm confused. You gave a discount on auction wins?

Not Confusing,

Your Question, No....I Didn't, I agreed to a percentage Discount BEFORE the Buyer put bids on 5 items, as an incentive to get him to put bids to make Sale's, which he did. Its called Doing Business! As you are aware, within the last 12 hours of listings, the Seller is held Hostage by E-Bay as to the determination of their own items. Can't even end them!

Little realizing how much E-Bay could muck up the works!!!! :s:/:|

YeeHah!

Neil

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure I have the entire story straight, but I believe the ONLY thing you can reduce on an invoice is shipping, so if your total shipping is $X, the biggest reduction you can give is $X.

@detroitfan2 said:
    I'm not sure I have the entire story straight, but I believe the ONLY thing you can reduce on an invoice is shipping, so if your total shipping is $X, the biggest reduction you can give is $X.

Actually when you send an Invoice, there is a Space right under Tax that is for Discounts (It Says: Discounts with a Box to add either $ amount or Percentage, neither worked), which is what I tried to Unsuccessfully use and it also wouldn't let me reduce shipping which I have used in the past many times.

YeeHah!

Neil

Thanks,

I figured I was trying to do something I wasn't supposed to, made a couple of decisions on the fly...Now I know! Next time I just tell them if/after the Auctions end with no winner, then I can discount price when I Re-list them!

Thanks

YeeHah!

Neil

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

put a $20 bill in w. the shipment.

• You can always give a partial refund too

@byronscott4ever said:
    You can always give a partial refund too

Which is what I did!

Thanks

YeeHah!