Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Gino Marchetti 8x10

Picked this up today from my favourite 2nd hand store for $9

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an awesome find. He is a legend, a feared defensive end and a HOFer. He also fought in one of the most famous battles in history, "the battle of the bulge" in WWII, which was Hitlers last desperate attempt to turn the tide of WWII. It was one of the most bloodiest battles in history.

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks.. some other person had been eyeing it .. put it in their cart then decided they didn't wish it and put it back on the shelf so I ended up with it

• Options
    edited September 25, 2020 6:15PM

He was a huge man, he started off as an offensive lineman and switched to defensive end. He was so big that he would just throw offensive linemen to the ground like they were nothing, and after that it was "seek and destroy" the quarterback. They didn't keep stats for sacks back then, but legend has it, he once had 9 sacks in one game. The quarterbacks feared him. He slammed Browns quarterback Frank Ryan to the ground so hard, that Ryan's shoulder was separated. He destroyed Bart Starr one time, he hit him so hard. I love vicious players like him. Good stuff!

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

He slammed Browns quarterback Frank Ryan to the ground so hard, that Ryan's shoulder was separated. >

In the Pro Bowl !

• Options

@GDM67 said:

He slammed Browns quarterback Frank Ryan to the ground so hard, that Ryan's shoulder was separated. >

In the Pro Bowl !

I love it. Love it!!

• Options

been looking at some old pics of him playing.. didn't realize how hard he could hit someone.. imagine if he played now .

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

probably just as famous for starting the Gino's fast food chain!
    IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

@slimies said:
    been looking at some old pics of him playing.. didn't realize how hard he could hit someone.. imagine if he played now .

Yeah, and he also fought in the battle of the bulge. Look that battle up sometime, it was hell. They had to live and fight in freezing snow. Anyone who fought in that battle was lucky to survive.

• Options
    edited September 26, 2020 8:44PM

looked up and the battle in some of the books i have and online.. one heck of a battle

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

A local San Francisco legend! His 1951 University of San Francisco Dons team went undefeated. The team also had two other locals that went on to be legends of the game in Ollie Matson and Bob St. Clair.