Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How the PCGS Set Registry Changed The Hobby

Launched in February 2001, the PCGS Set Registry was the first such collecting initiative our hobby had ever seen, pioneering a new way for coin collectors to build their collections, show them off to others, and compete with one another for top honors.

So, how did it all begin? Follow the link to find out! https://www.pcgs.com/news/how-the-pcgs-set-registry-changed-the-hobby

Comments

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2020 8:01PM

Some collectors may complain, and no doubt the Registry causes price increases in top pops, but I strongly believe the Set Registry is Positive for our wonderful hobby.

Steve
    PCGS Fan #1

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the set registry as it allows me to showcase my collection.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2020 9:24AM

I love the All-Time Sets. It's great to see how current sets compare to the classics!

• JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 11:00PM

@PCGS_SocialMedia said:

Launched in February 2001, the PCGS Set Registry was the first such collecting initiative our hobby had ever seen, pioneering a new way for coin collectors to build their collections, show them off to others, and compete with one another for top honors.

1))))) COMPETE WITH OTHERS FOR TOP HONORS ?? ?? ??

Have You seen the All-Time Rankings in this Set?

NATIVE AMERICAN DOLLARS, PROOF (2009-PRESENT)
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/dollars/sacagawea-dollars-specialty-sets/native-american-dollars-proof-2009-present/5827

Not a single collection in the All-Time Finest (All Eras) Rankings is even completed - because they saw the option in the rules to PRESERVE a Top Spot by "Retiring The Set" and remain in one of five #1 spots for eternity

And if You look at the Entire All-Time Finest List...the sets that ARE NOW COMPLETE are at #6 - even though those #6 Sets have EVERY COIN currently available (and many have the 2020 coin - which doesn't even count)

How can rules that preserve the top five rankings be fair to anyone else...and encourage competition for Top Honors when there is NO WAY for anyone with a COMPLETE SET to get to #1?

And HOW do those Retired Sets continue to earn "Best OF The Registry" badges for subsequent years when they don't have a complete collection?

Consider My own Set in this Proof Set...
    I earned the Set Leader Medal on 2/08/2020...just 40 DAYS after joining Set Registry when I added the 2019 coin - and My collection was #1 - Set Leader - supposedly the BEST COLLECTION amongst all collections...and it was PR69DCAM !! Since then...I've upgraded each and every PR6DCAM to a PR70DCAM and I'm STILL at #6 in the All-Time Finest (All Eras) Rankings

How does that make the competition fair for everyone if the "Retired Sets" are still in the #1 spots?

And if I was FIRST to complete the collection with a 2019 coin...HOW DID I LOSE that ranking when others added the coin LATER - My Rank was NOT preserved - BUT I was FIRST TO COMPLETE ???

Evidently we are in a race where getting there first doesn't count for anything? And Retirees are always going to be ranked First even though they no longer compete??

Additionally...We are now awaiting the 2020 Annual Awards - which are more than 30 days PAST DUE - and NOT A SINGLE 2020 coin can be added to ANY Proof Set - How can a 2020 award icon be earned WITHOUT a single 2020 coin allowed or counted? I have them ALL...but I have to wait for 2021 just to add them?

I have personally requested ~200~ New Slots for Proof Sets for coins that were NOT previously included in Proof Sets...with 38 MORE New Slots currently pending for over 2 MONTHS - what is the holdup?

2))))) SHOW THEM OFF TO OTHERS ???
    You cannot even see the DL Hansen collections anymore - evidently He's upset too !!!!!!

Can anyone imagine how many lawsuits would be filed against PCGS if Members Of Congress were collectors regarding the Ranking Rules?

Scam!! Sham!! Farce!! WitchHunt!! Impeachment!! Mail Fraud!! Election Tampering!!

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2020 8:00AM

@JonJet - I’ll leave out some of the emotion, but the same unfair quirk also applies to the America the Beautiful 5oz. Bullion Series. I’ve pointed out the unfairness of the “Retired” set that has no coins graded higher than mine, and my complete set has some of the same coins graded higher than that #1 set. Same result - the weak Retired set now has a lock on #1 All-Time set.

Despite the above, I love the Registry, and recognize it is a very positive asset for our wonderful hobby. Like something else (I won’t specify to avoid the risk of getting banned), the PCGS Registry is not perfect, but it’s the best in the world. It’s a lot better than years ago, and getting even better over time!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2020 9:27AM

@winesteven said:
    I’ll leave out some of the emotion, but the same unfair quirk also applies to the America the Beautiful 5oz. Bullion Series. I’ve pointed out the unfairness of the “Retired” set that has no coins graded higher than mine, and my complete set has some of the same coins graded higher than that #1 set. Same result - the weak Retired set now has a lock on #1 All-Time set.

I've never noticed that with All-Time Rankings. Why does it happen? Does your set have a higher GPA than the retired set?

I've seen @DLHansen's current sets surpass retired sets on All-Time Rankings so I never thought this was an issue.

• JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2020 9:32AM

I'm sure there are literally hundreds of Sets that have the same inherent issue...simply because "The Rules" benefit those who took unfair advantage

I am only looking at the (103) Proof Sets that I collect - No mint sets - No specialty sets - No year sets - No gold sets

Multiply the issues I see by all of those factors and the scope of the problem becomes apparent

If those unfair rules are not changed - future generations will look at Set Registry and think "why bother"

And Set Registry will fade away as the old school generations (and their membership dues) pass away and disappear

Opening up those Retired Sets does show their "true ranking" - leaving only the "manipulation of the rules" as the reason they are the only Sets ranked #1 All-Time

Seems the only way to "WIN" the friendly competition is to get a set current - Retire it - stop collecting altogether - and keep the number ONE ranking over and above anyone who is still actively seeking to better their collection

How is that a benefit that will ensure Set Registry continues thru future generations?

Do You honestly think We will see any answers to these questions from PCGS_SocialMedia?

In the 19 years since Set Registry was created...they've managed a whopping 141 posts compared to Your 964 and My 39

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    I like the set registry as it allows me to showcase my collection.

Having said the above and having the current number one registry in what I collect the rules do not qualify for my set for "awards"

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep clicking on sets that have one or a few fuzzy cell phone pictures, it drives me nuts.
    Do the community a favor and have your coins TrueViewed please or set your preference to private.

• LegacyLegacy Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Love the Set Registry! The combination of showcasing my coins, competing and creating sets are all a big part of my collecting experience. Thank you PCGS.