Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1963 topps pete rose autographed card

Hello all,

A friend that I haven't spoken with in a long while (years) found out that I buy/sell mostly football cards on Ebay. As we talked he mentioned that he has a 1963 topps Pete Rose rookie card with his autograph on it in ball point pen. I thought that the card would be valuable and worth sending into PSA possibly for authentication. I've never had an autographed card or sent one to PSA so my knowledge is very limited. I figure there may be a more knowledgeable person to help answer some of my questions. My questions would be:

1. If the card itself is graded with the autograph on it, would the maximum grade be based on including the ink marks from the autograph as well? My friend thought the card itself couldn't grade very high because the card has writing (autograph) on it. I thought that PSA would look at the card's grade without considering the autograph first and assign it a grade and then the autograph would have a separate grade. If someone could explain the process, that would be great. Sorry if the information is already out there and I just didn't look very hard.

2. If the card itself is in poor condition, is it worth having a card grade and only having an auto grade?

3. How is an autograph itself graded? Is it based on the boldness or some feature that I should be looking for?

I guess if someone could give me their approach on grading an autographed card would be, I would appreciate it. Any tips, something to consider, that would be helpful, would be awesome.

Thank you in advance. Hope that everyone is safe and well.

Anil

There can be only one....

Comments

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

fyi: there are a ton of quality fakes out there. maybe post a picture?

• I am supposed to meet him in the next week or so. I will post a picture once available. I'll try to see if he can text me a picture. I was in the inital stages of gathering information. ;)

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just send it in. The card has enough value so that as long as it's authenticated, people will know it's real.

In answer to your question about ink being on the card, the autograph isn't considered a "mark" on the card.

Plenty of cards with a 10 grade that are autographed.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • @JoeBanzai said:
    Just send it in. The card has enough value so that as long as it's authenticated, people will know it's real.

In answer to your question about ink being on the card, the autograph isn't considered a "mark" on the card.

Plenty of cards with a 10 grade that are autographed.

I thought so. I think the card itself is in good to very-good condition, so I guess just getting the card authenticated would be enough. I'm trying to set up a meeting for Monday so I'll take a look at the card and get some pictures. Thanks!

• The pictures that my friend sent me.

• Wow! That’s a real card alright. I agree with the others, get it graded.

• @MantleMarisFordBerra said:
    Wow! That’s a real card alright. I agree with the others, get it graded.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Should the card and auto be graded?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

The auto would probably be enough, but why not eliminate all doubt and get both done?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • @JoeBanzai said:
    The auto would probably be enough, but why not eliminate all doubt and get both done?

Sounds logical. I'll let my friend know he's got a really nice card with the auto. I'll encourage him to slab it for authentication and protection as well. Thanks guys!

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get it graded AUTH for the card and have the auto graded. Will confirm the card is real and it looks like a nice signature. The card is probably a PSA 3 and I think from what I have seen it is better to not remind people of the grade when it’s this low. Instead they focus on how cool it is. Good luck.

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

I am not sure if there is a premium attached to getting a rookie card signed by Rose these days as opposed to any other item, but the card itself is the real value in this situation. The autograph adds value to it of course, but a Rose autograph in general is cheap and almost as easy to find as a Feller these days.

I have always been a fan of getting nice cards signed if I have the chance. If I had a Rose RC, I would want it signed and this one might shock many, but if I had a 2nd copy I would love to have one signed by just McMullen. I'm still mad that Rose was paired with a Dodger. That makes one of the most expensive Dodger commons possible.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2020 9:23AM

be brutally honest here, if the card were in better shape, id say continue w grading. but its not and considering you can go to a vegas mall 8 days outta the week w a $100 beater and get pete’s sig anytime ya want, tell your friend to just keep it. the grading fees, shipping costs and time to get it done most likely will net your friend very little. just tell him to get it outta that screwdown (carefully) and into something a little more current.

• Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate it. I'll let him read the thread on Monday and let him decide. I personally like having a card in a PSA holder for the protection, but I will definitely pass on all suggestions. Yes, I will tell him about the screwdown holders. ;)