Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Rare 1971 New Pence Coin for sale

MarykaMaryka Posts: 4

Kindly make me an offer contact me will post few more in the next few days some not so valuable. Maryka +26776415549

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mintage figures show a billion and a half were made. Why do you think it's rare?

• Options

EXTREMELY RARE 1971 “ New Pence 2p Coin” Collector’s Item
    All 2p coins minted before 1982 say 'new pence', while those stamped after that date should say ‘two pence’. However, an early error means that a number of 2p coins from 1983 still show 'new pence', these coins with that year stamped on are normally worth several hundreds of pounds

• Options

While 2p coins are not uncommon, what makes this specific coin popular is the unique wording on it.

Rather than “two pence”, the coin says “new pence” on it – as all coins produced between 1971 and 1981 did.

The coin in question is from 1971, the year the new pence coins began being producted, and this gives it a special status.

• Options

@Maryka said:
    All 2p coins minted before 1982 say 'new pence', while those stamped after that date should say ‘two pence’. However, an early error means that a number of 2p coins from 1983 still show 'new pence', these coins with that year stamped on are normally worth several hundreds of pounds

The coin you pictured is dated 1971. What does a 1983 coin have to do with anything?

@Maryka said:
    The coin in question is from 1971, the year the new pence coins began being producted, and this gives it a special status.

"Special" because it's the first year of issue? I guess, if that sort of thing is important to you. Doesn't mean it's rare.

• Options

Thats what I read I am not a coin expert or anything thats why I don’t put a price on and say make me an offer.

• Options

Maybe you shouldn't call it "rare" if it's not, you think?

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not rare. Extremely common. worth less than $1.

It's supposed to say New Pence not two pence
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces664.html

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2020 10:59PM

Sorry to pile on to your for sale thread (it’s bad form), but since it has already been mentioned, there is nothing even remotely “rare” about this coin. Indeed, it is the polar opposite of rare, being in fact one of the most common dates I encounter in bulk lots.

I don’t even bother wasting a 3-cent 2x2 holder on these. I used to sell them by the dozen with my loose "10-cent-or-dollar-a-dozen" bulk inventory.

There. I’ll leave you alone now. Sorry to rain on your parade. Really. But it needed to be said.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 9:31AM

your coin in the world coin book I have is valued at between 15 cents and 50 cents and the mintage is 1,454,856,250 not even near rare. and just cause it has new pence has no effect on the value or how rare the coin is