Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Viking Apocolypse, 2020

Ever thought the 1925 Norse Centennial Medal didn't quite show vikings as they were? How about this?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong helmet type.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

He doesn't like people who criticize his helmet! ;)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what I was getting ready to say. Just let him go berserk on someone else...

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eric Haraldsson (Eric Bloodaxe) issued coins as king of Northumbria. Unfortunately they are extremely rare and expensive and I don't have one. Here is an example that sold at CNG

• Options

Excellent! Always like the name & that is my own as well...
    The OP coin has extremely high relief, even this picture doesn't really capture it:

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars : What's the reverse look like?

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options

I'll post it tonite.

• Options
    edited September 24, 2020 9:39PM

Here is the "obverse" :smile:

/Users/ericdawson/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/derivatives/9/9001F1C0-298E-42A3-9CD3-DA37CA4BBC57_1_105_c.jpeg

Bonus "You Suck" award for the rune translation!

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the runes are simply the futhark alphabet in order starting above the "I" in Elizabeth.

• Options

@carabonnair said:
    I think the runes are simply the futhark alphabet in order starting above the "I" in Elizabeth.

The runic inscription has repeat letters, so I don’t think it is an alphabetical recitation.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2020 5:29AM

@EVillageProwler said:

@carabonnair said:

The runic inscription has repeat letters, so I don’t think it is an alphabetical recitation.

There are no repeat letters (look again?). It is the 24-character Elder Futhark alphabetic listing.

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unicode runes:
    ᚠ ᚢ ᚦ ᚨ ᚱ ᚲ ᚷ ᚹ ᚺ ᚾ ᛁ ᛃ ᛇ ᛈ ᛉ ᛋ ᛏ ᛒ ᛖ ᛗ ᛚ ᛜ ᛞ ᛟ
    On the coin inscription, ᚦ þurisaz, thurisaz "th", looks a lot like ᚹ wunjō "w"

• Options

@brg5658 said:

@EVillageProwler said:

@carabonnair said:

There are no repeat letters (look again?). It is the 24-character Elder Futhark alphabetic listing.

@carabonnair said:
    Unicode runes:

The 3rd ('th') and 8th ('w') letters on the coin look the same to me, so I got confused. My bad.

EVP

• Options

@EVillageProwler said:

@brg5658 said:

@EVillageProwler said:

@carabonnair said:

@carabonnair said:
    Unicode runes:

The 3rd ('th') and 8th ('w') letters on the coin look the same to me, so I got confused. My bad.

EVP

The coin inscription appears to be partially under some sort of gasket.

-Brandon

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me thinks someone was channeling Stan Lee. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Good point! LOL