Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Heads up on ebay shipping labels

Hey Everyone,

For some reason, for the last few days when I went to print my ebay shipping labels for single PSA graded card, the default went from First Class (i.e. $2.70ish) to Priority (i.e. $7.70ish). Not sure what changed, but just be careful you don't actually end up paying for something you didn't want / need. With my typical old man focus, I'm fortunate I noticed it when I did :D .

Comments

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... I have never seen it default to anything other than what is in the listing (which is what the buyer selected when purchased)..

Thanks for the heads up.

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

That happens to me all the time. I haven't made the mistake of not noticing except for one time.

If you get dinged, it's fairly simple to cancel the label and reprint another. Might take a week to get your refund on the first label however.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just had an order from Canada, and ebay defaulted to a charge of $25.50, and I could not find a way to choose other less expensive options, so I used Stamps.com and was able to ship it for a little over $11. I refunded the difference to the buyer.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

check the listing. if you had priority in there vs first class it would automatically select that option as that's what was advertised in the listing.

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 6:00PM

@blurryface said:
    check the listing. if you had priority in there vs first class it would automatically select that option as that's what was advertised in the listing.

yea thats not the issue. I had this happen the other day when I went to go ship some cards. ebay is doing it as a "recommendation" because of the recent slower track record of first class over priority due to covid. in fact, theres a header on the page suggesting upgrading to a higher shipping level because of the backups.

when I saw I was about to click to pay for $7.75 priority (almost unnoticed) as opposed to the selected first class, I had to do a double take and then realized what happened. all of the auctions I had up at the time were set up for flat first class shipping bu default. ebay made the changes unbeknownst to me. luckily I, like the OP, caught it.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 6:04PM

shipped 12 things today and didn't have that problem. did see the header about shipping being delayed, but yea, that's been up there for a long while now.

@blurryface said:
    shipped 12 things today and didn't have that problem. did see the header about shipping being delayed, but yea, that's been up there for a long while now.

yea it only did that on two of my auctions out of 6. so I wonder if it was a glitch.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:

@blurryface said:

yea thats not the issue. I had this happen the other day when I went to go ship some cards. ebay is doing it as a "recommendation" because of the recent slower track record of first class over priority due to covid. in fact, theres a header on the page suggesting upgrading to a higher shipping level because of the backups.

when I saw I was about to click to pay for $7.75 priority (almost unnoticed) as opposed to the selected first class, I had to do a double take and then realized what happened. aoll of the auctions I had up at the time were set up for flat first class shipping bu default. ebay made the changes unbeknownst to me. luckily I, like the OP, caught it.

This is exactly what happened. I figured I screwed something up, so I double checked the listings and they said "first class". The other strange thing was that it said "buyer selected" next to the First Class option (even though it defaulted to Priority). I have never seen "buyer selected" next to anything previously, nor have I ever selected a shipping method in any of the 1000's of ebay items I have purchased.

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I sent a card out media mail once. I think it happened when I selected “sell similar item” on another listing. Not sure, but I don’t go that lazy route anymore.

• I think mine almost always default to priority when I do them individually. but when I use the bulk shipping they come up 1st class. all my listings are set to "economy shipping"

• thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Curious as to why it seems Many times lately that I ship a padded envelope, First Class 1-3 Ounces (Raw Cards or 1 Graded), I get three or four different shipping charges generated in the E-bay shipping. Sometimes that package is $2.84, sometimes $2.94, sometimes, $3.05 or sometimes $3.20. Does USPS really differentiate that closely to where the packages are going in the US, haven't paid attention, but guess I will!

Thanks

YeeHah!

Neil

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:
    Afternoon,

Curious as to why it seems Many times lately that I ship a padded envelope, First Class 1-3 Ounces (Raw Cards or 1 Graded), I get three or four different shipping charges generated in the E-bay shipping. Sometimes that package is $2.84, sometimes $2.94, sometimes, $3.05 or sometimes $3.20. Does USPS really differentiate that closely to where the packages are going in the US, haven't paid attention, but guess I will!

Thanks

YeeHah!

Neil

YES. It's weight and destination.

@rcmb3220 said:
    I sent a card out media mail once. I think it happened when I selected “sell similar item” on another listing. Not sure, but I don’t go that lazy route anymore.

definitely the lazy route. I always start all my auctions from scratch. there are WAY too many errors, mistypes and bad descriptions that are automatically imported when you use this "feature". its easy to spot when peoples auctions say "PWCC" in the auction title. its caused when someone hits the "sell similar" but fail big time and forget to edit the auction title and other pertinent info. its pure laziness.

myslabs.to/smzcards

@Mickey71 said:

@thedutymon11 said:
    Afternoon,

Thanks

YeeHah!

Neil

YES. It's weight and destination.

USPS First class now determines shipping rates not only by weight, but also but destination zone. 1-4 ounces is usually the same price. 5 and up to the next threshold is slightly more.....or to a further zone. a 4oz package to Georgia for me from NJ may cost $2.84, but to California may cost $3.18.

myslabs.to/smzcards