Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Recent Pick-Up 1965 Blue Monster 84 Card Set, So Fugly, They Are Beautiful!!!!! (Scan Heavy)

thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 22, 2020 6:08AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Evening,

For your perusal today we have some of the Set I received in Today's Mail: 1 Complete Super Hi Grade 1965 Manufacturer Unknown Blue Monster 84 Card Set. The Cards in this set were so poorly manufactured originally that they are beautiful in their Utter Rawness and Ugliness! There is no Company identification at all on the back of these cards.

Known as one of the Great Non Sport Debates/Mysteries, the actual Manufacturer of this set has Never been determined. (Although PSA identity's them as Rosan, they are most likely Wrong IMHO) Ripping off images from the 1961 Nu-Cards Terror Monster Green and Terror Monster Orange sets (132 Cards) and the 1963 Rosan Purple Terror Monster sets (132 Cards) (Why would Rosan rip off their own sets and not take Copy-write credit), with cheaply typed Captions, some funny, some just plain stupid!

There are several Camps as to the Origin of this set, some believe this is a Rosan Test Set, or a Nu-Cards Test Set, although most collectors believe neither hold much water. Most likely this was a straight up Rip Off Bootleg set. The Thieves not wanting to get Copyright approval from Hollywood because most cards are from 50's and 60's Horror films!. I don't even know how they came up with 1965, although we do know that it was after 1961-63 when all the sets they rip off were printed, perhaps they dated all the Movies that they ripped off and none were made after 1964 or so? And since the sets are found most times in their entirety, its believed they were sold as a set only, through magazines or? Another outside the Box scenario was that some Rosan employees did a little night work with the Company's equipment. I doubt we'll ever know!

The Great thing about this set is that ALL the Miscues, Ink Blotching, Edge Flaws (Not wear or chipping, but was probably on the original Ripped off copy of the card being copied), MisCuts, OC, Lines, Print defects, etc., etc. have all been baked into the Grading process by PSA.

Believe it or Not, these cards can and do earn NM-MT 8's and MINT 9's quite often as Every Same card from every set has near the exact same flaws! No 10's yet, but there are two of these that I think can do it. In the last 20 years I have had 6-8 Complete sets and Condition Wise this is the Nicest Set I have ever seen! So Here Ya Go!!

Off to Newport

Thanks

YeeHah!

Neil

Comments

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

Wow,

What an awesome example of PSA Board Non Inclusion, PERFECT!. I Took a 7 year break, them came back and have tried to be part of this community, but apperently if you don't collect Exactly what You Do (Meaning Most Of You), then it is not ever meant to be worthy of your approval. No problem, I will continue to be an Outlier , which is what I am. I choose to collect what I do, be passionate about that as I do, and will not miss any opportunity to champion what I appreciate, and quite often what I find in your collecting endeavors sometimes will be Awesome, especially when they are just like mine!

Enjoy, or Don't, Whatever works for you!

Have A Great Day!

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like those. Part of why I love the ‘55 Bowman is how the names look like someone typed them on a typewriter and then cut them onto little pieces of paper and set them on the card. These captions have the same type of look.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Love #20...."speak up boy".... Pretty edgy for the time holding a severed head.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1966 I opened Monster Laffs cards. Still one of my favorite memories.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.