Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

When Did Card Saver 1's become Like Crack?

Evening,

I Just ran out Card Saver 1's and had not realized what was happening with them Retail! I could go to the Street Corner and Score some Crack easier than some Plastic right now!

Cheapest on FeeBay is $24.95 per 50, Free Shipping. I'd like to do a 250 or 500 quantity! Anybody have a Source we could do a little bit better with, (Williing to wait on the Corner for a reasonable amount of time! :D:D:( ). Went to the Manufacturer source and they are back ordered till Jan 2021...Can you Freakin believe this!

Thanks

YeeHah!

Neil

Comments

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

You can't find them anywhere at the moment for less than $50 for 100. After buying a couple hundred I decided to look around old boxes and found 500+ of them being used for $5ish cards. Took those out and now I am a Card Saver 1 billionaire.

• Options

Ridiculous.

Very funny crack comparison 🤣

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has been going on since late May early June. Collectors at home ripping product
    COVID 19 and import restrictions. Also happening with Top Loaders, soft sleeves
    and to a lesser extent card board boxes.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

For about 6 months now! LOL

• Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

I bought 200 for $50 from Amazon yesterday

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2020 7:18AM

@mknez said:
    I bought 200 for $50 from Amazon yesterday

Thanks

Hey....How you been?

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2020 10:41AM

I traded two cases of card saver 1's FOR some crack.

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

@Horse said:
    I traded two cases of card saver 1's FOR some crack.

Depending on How Much Crack you're talking...You may have got Taken!! :D:D:D

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figured issues with China shipping. Pretty sure I have Card Savers worth more than the cards inside them :D

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

About a year ago I bought 1,500 card saver 1's and they weren't very expensive so I paid
    for them with ebay bucks. Have an entire raw set of 1978 topps BB in them and most
    of a 75 topps bb raw set. Now the card savers' may be worth more than some of the commons. :o

And if penny sleeves have gone up like card savers then I have a small fortune.
    Cards are in penny sleeves and then card savers.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:
    You can't find them anywhere at the moment for less than $50 for 100. After buying a couple hundred I decided to look around old boxes and found 500+ of them being used for $5ish cards. Took those out and now I am a Card Saver 1 billionaire.

I did the same thing after seeing the sticker shock of a 50 ct on eBay.

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Here's a listing for 50 semi-rigids + penny sleeves from "Gem Shields" for $15 dlvd. Never heard of them, but I'm glad there's competition.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Semi-Rigid-Holders-Shields/dp/B08BSY7R9G/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=semi+rigid&qid=1600823464&sr=8-7

• Options
    KingBenKingBen Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 9:22AM

The stupidest “invention” in our hobby. Both the 1, 2, or the 5th....

They damage the cards more than anything else. First of all, the stupid lettering at the top scratches the cards front and back when trying to put inside. Then you have to have a PhD to figure out how to hold that dumb case open without making it slap at the card to bend it. They’re DUMB!!!!!!

Why doesn’t anybody realize how moronic these cases are? Why are they a standard and recommendation?

Do they WANT your cards to be damaged so they keep the populations low?

COLLECTING: 2020 Topps 206 ⚾️

facebook.com/groups/Topps206

facebook.com/groups/SportsCardsHobbyTalk

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

psa is accepting cards in toploaders now as long as they are in pennies.

toploaders were just as dry but have started popping up.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@KingBen said:

They damage the cards more than anything else. First of all, the stupid lettering at the top scratches the cards front and back when trying to put inside. Then you have to have a PhD to figure out how to hold that dumb case open without making it slap at the card to bend it. They’re DUMB!!!!!!

Why doesn’t anybody realize how moronic these cards are? Why are they a standard and recommendation?

I've always felt like they put too much pressure on the bottom corners as you insert the card -- potentially damaging the corners. I was surprised this was the industry standard for submitting cards to TPG's.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

I would be a bit frightened sending cards to be graded that were in top loaders. I know the cards are technically safer in the top loader but retrieving the cards from a card saver 1 is infinitely easier than attempting to remove cards out of top loaders. When you factor in a person who is grading hundreds to thousands of these daily I get the feeling the removal process will tend to get sloppier as the day rolls on giving you much more chance that the card is damaged upon removal.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2020 5:09PM

@ArtVandelay said:

@blurryface said:

I would be a bit frightened sending cards to be graded that were in top loaders. I know the cards are technically safer in the top loader but retrieving the cards from a card saver 1 is infinitely easier than attempting to remove cards out of top loaders. When you factor in a person who is grading hundreds to thousands of these daily I get the feeling the removal process will tend to get sloppier as the day rolls on giving you much more chance that the card is damaged upon removal.

oh, i didn't say i was using top loaders or recommend it. there was a thread here about 6 months ago that let folks know about the shortage that was coming. i actually 2000 from psa then! 😉

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 7:26PM

I went to my local card shop just knowing that there would be none but there were six packs of 25 per lot and i purchased every one of them for $3.75 each. I thought i was robbing the place. Apparently they were used once but they looked brand new to me.. I was practically out of them so it was just what I needed.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingBen said:

Why doesn’t anybody realize how moronic these cases are? Why are they a standard and recommendation?

Put them in a penny sleeve first and then the card saver.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    KingBenKingBen Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@KingBen said:

Most definitely! But I still think they’re not safe for cards even with the sleeve. Without a sleeve, one should just retire from the hobby.

COLLECTING: 2020 Topps 206 ⚾️

facebook.com/groups/Topps206

facebook.com/groups/SportsCardsHobbyTalk

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭

Would be nice if PSA would return the cardsavers back with cards especially now with the high cost of them.

Should be interesting in the months ahead when the shortage hopefully ends if the prices drop to pre covid prices or remain high.

• Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

Who knew that these would become a short term investment option! :)

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I snagged two 200 packs on amazon last night when they were in stock.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

@ssollars said:

several folks! 😉

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought some off brand recently that seem just fine.

Done buying until prices return to some semblance of normal.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I just got my PSA collector’s club welcome pack and it came with About 15 card saver I’d. I think if I hold them for another few months I may be able to sell them and recoup my collector’s club fee.

• Options

I read this post. I remember buying 2 cases ( for me and my son who was opening packs of Heritage a couple years ago). I went looking and we still have 4 unopened boxes of CS1's. I didn't realize this was good fortune until now, Lol.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2020 9:00AM

@KingBen said:

@Darin said:

@KingBen said:

Most definitely! But I still think they’re not safe for cards even with the sleeve. Without a sleeve, one should just retire from the hobby.

Why should I use a penny sleeve to put a 1960's vintage card into a Card Saver 1? It's not a glossy card stock and in all the years I've been doing it, I can't recall a single item being damaged. Here's some examples:

For cards starting in around the early 1990's, I use a penny sleeve. But I don't see the requirement for cards made before then IMHO.

Steve

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ssollars said:

Ship that sucker to Steve Hart and have him put 'FASC' labels on the boxes. Instant riches!

Daniel