Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

and that was for a questionable copy...almost miscut on back and some kind of spot in the upper right quadrant on back as well...folks buying the grade and not the card...registry purchase no doubt

• natetrooknatetrook Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Power of the registry.
    Still can't understand why someone would purchase a low pop common,
    rather than multiple copies of the stars.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@natetrook said:
    Power of the registry.
    Still can't understand why someone would purchase a low pop common,
    rather than multiple copies of the stars.

For set collectors, a truly low pop common in high grade is even more desirable than a star card which you can pick up any day of the week.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2020 5:36PM

I mention it because set collecting (which is my main interest) has taken a total backseat to star/rookie collecting In the last several years. I’m glad to see someone still cares about a 1973 Del Unser!

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

I am not a set collector in any capacity. Tho I hope to get my kids into it when they get old enough. That said, I’ve always found it fascinating that people assemble these incredible sets in which every card is high grade. Truly a labor of
    Love and awesome to watch when you get to follow along in the journey.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been upgrading my set to all 9s for many years and have about 20 to go, including this one. I don't see myself spending $1000+ for this card but would love to add one to my mostly PSA 9 set. I'm pretty picky for high dollar, low pop commons in terms of being a solid 9 which this one is not.

The Unser is one of the toughest cards in the set, almost always significantly O/C. I bought a "high grade" set that had a perfectly centered Unser that was mint except for one problem. Almost every card in the set had been dinged on the same corner. It craeted a perfect crimp on one of the corners of the Unser. I still submitted it to PSA and it came back a 7.

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

Time to dig through thousands of 1973's looks for Del Unser. :D

• I paid a healthy amount for a beautiful '77 Candelaria about 18 years ago. It was well struck, focused, centered and pretty sharp. It was in the 400.00 range and was considered pure insanity to many at the time..."There will be dozens of them" people said.
    Still waiting to see a better copy.
    Sometimes chasing an Unser is as enjoyable as it gets!

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella