Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British Coin - What Ruler?

Usually, I'm pretty good at determining British rulers on coins, but this one is tripping me up. It has a "VI" next to the bust, which I assume means whoever it is, is "the sixth". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2020 3:46PM

Charles I. The VI is the denomination, 6 pence. I believe. Not really my field. Someone will give you a better answer, I am sure.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be a 6 pence from the reign of Charles I... Not sure of the Spink catalog number without checking

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

You always can tell Charles I by his beard.

DPOTD
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curiously I am watching programmes on the BBC about the Stuarts. Recommend watching them.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Thanks so much for all the help! It came with an old identification paper that labeled it as an "Edward 3rd Penny", however I figured it was incorrect as the coin is obviously not from the 1300s.

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

• Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Here's that write up I had mentioned. It appears to be very old. Although it doesn't necessarily belong to the coin, it still is a interesting item.

• Options

So clearly not an Edward III penny that i suspect one label got mixed up with another, possibly by someone who would not know the difference between Edward III and Prince Edward Windsor.

DPOTD