Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

WWII Girly Girl Eye Candy for Horse + Tell me why these EX 5 and MINT 9 Cards are 4 Grades Off?????

Afternoon,

Before I proceed, just got my first Graded Package back from PSA since 2013, and Wow have they upped their Packaging game.....No Complaints, those card were packaged SAFE!!!!!!!!! Kudos!!!!!!

So cause Horse asked he shall receive! A Few of the Cards from my Last Sub 1945 Mutoscope Artist Pin-Ups!

And to some of you grading experts I can't believe the minuscule differences in some of the EX 5's to the MINT 9's in the same card, I could see NM-MT 8/MINT 9 or even NM7/MINT 9....But EX5/MINT 9, tell me your opinion. All I know is they are Extremely Harsh on these Mutoscope sets now!

I don't see how this first one doesn't get a NM 7 or EX-MT 6 at worse, as well as most of the other 5's and the 4's don't even get me started, I've examined every card with a Magnification and there are NO Surface Wrinkles, slight creases, creases, Scrunges, Corner slight bend over...Nothing, just some minor minor Corner bump or very minor edge chipping on a few well within a NM 7 designation.

Thanks for Looking

YEEHAH!!!!!

Neil

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

don't know, but they're cool as the breeze!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll either need to upgrade to a CCD scanner or bring some examples to the next lunch meetup. I can't make out enough detail to comment.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

Some edge chipping is visible on some of those 4 and 5 fronts. Can't tell much more from the scans. Nice collection = that's one set that'll get your attention B)

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're having trouble seeing anything obvious on the PSA 5s, then it's usually a tiny wrinkle somewhere on the card.

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    If you're having trouble seeing anything obvious on the PSA 5s, then it's usually a tiny wrinkle somewhere on the card.

As I've looked at the 4's and 5's from this sub at least 8-10 times now, I see some of the issues, slight edge imperfections a few (Although I would argue some of the 15 NM7's in the same sub have more than the 5's), a couple with slight color imperfections from printing, 2 with some light something on the front only seen at one angle that would have probably rubbed off with a Nylon, and then of course the few that no matter how much you look at them (And all angles for spider wrinkles or imperfections), that you still rub your head and go WTF? :D:D:D

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

Great cards. I love pin ups. I may have to try and put this set together.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

it seems that slight imperfections that used to maybe get you docked 1 or 2 points are now accounting for 3 or 4 point deductions? In any case (pun intended), those are some beautiful cards

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, Horse is going to love this thread. He'll be staring at it all weekend. It will go perfect with his Michelob Ultra.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

great stuff. I have been wanting to collect entire set of 40's Mutoscope for quite some time. I just always end up choosing sports cards when I am in the mood to buy.

• Options

@ArtVandelay said:
    great stuff. I have been wanting to collect entire set of 40's Mutoscope for quite some time. I just always end up choosing sports cards when I am in the mood to buy.

And I'm sure your Wife/Girlfriend/SO will tell you that the collecting "Pictures Of Men" is an improvement over What I Do!
    NawHHH! B)B)B):D:D:D

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Centering. The Printed in.... is almost to the bottom. Your 9s are centered. I can honestly say those are beautiful

• Options

@Mickey71 said:
    Centering. The Printed in.... is almost to the bottom. Your 9s are centered. I can honestly say those are beautiful

A moment of...........Bow your heads,,,,,,,,I Agree! See us Non Sports Guy's do have a Mission! :D:D:D

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Some fabulous cards!

I looked at the "I'm Keeping Abreast of the Times" cards graded a 5 and a 9 and centering seems the same.

I am thinking there has to be some kind of crease/bend/wrinkle that would drop the card from a 9 to a 5. The only other thing I could think of is that some of them were glued into an album and some very faint residue could be there.

I sent this card in thinking it would grade higher and after getting it back, noticed the back, which originally looked fine, appeared to have an area that looked slightly different from the rest. I am not sure it's what they saw at PSA, but I missed it and I look at the cards pretty closely before sending in. That's not a scratch on Harmon's face, it's on the holder.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2020 12:17PM

@JoeBanzai said:
    Wow! Some fabulous cards!
    Thanks
    I sent this card in thinking it would grade higher and after getting it back, noticed the back, which originally looked fine, appeared to have an area that looked slightly different from the rest. I am not sure it's what they saw at PSA, but I missed it and I look at the cards pretty closely before sending in. That's not a scratch on Harmon's face, it's on the holder.

So I don't know if its worth Cracking it for a higher Grade, but if its just Wax residue or something similar, Gently rubbing it with your wife's PantyHose (No, NOT while she's wearing them! :D:D ) works almost all of the time. I've taken Wax residue off 10's before!

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Oh man. All hot up top but then scrolling down and seeing Killebrew’s face takes all the fun out of this. !!!!!

• Options

@Horse said:
    Oh man. All hot up top but then scrolling down and seeing Killebrew’s face takes all the fun out of this. !!!!!

Sorry. here's another, quite different favorite of mine.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@thedutymon11 said:

So I don't know if its worth Cracking it for a higher Grade, but if its just Wax residue or something similar, Gently rubbing it with your wife's PantyHose (No, NOT while she's wearing them! :D:D ) works almost all of the time. I've taken Wax residue off 10's before!

YeeHah!

Neil

Yes, I already cracked it out once and tried that. Actually used a dryer sheet.

I dont think it was wax, but prolly a water based glue that at first glance, came off when the card was removed (?) from album.

I got it to look a little better, but didn't want to do too much and risk damaging the card. Looks better in hand, scan makes it look worse!?!?!?!?

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

They are extremely tough on the Mutoscopes. Like VERY tough. You should be pleased you got so many 9's!!!!

• Options

@bobbyw8469 said:
    They are extremely tough on the Mutoscopes. Like VERY tough. You should be pleased you got so many 9's!!!!

I am, 16 out of 82 MINT 9...Bloody Not Bad, another 4 NM-MT + 8.5, and 26 NM-MT 8's, probably couldn't have asked for much more. Already Moved a 1/4 of the sub Off E-Bay...which is Big! Check out one of the newest Registered Sets from Rachel, met her yesterday here in Phoenix and moved 11 each NM-MT 8's and 4 each NM 7's! She already moved from #20 (Lowest) to #15! Good For Her! And we're in discussions for more!

Have two Strip Card Subs in different stages of sending off to PSA, then!

Next up, a complete Set of 1965 Blue Monster Cards (84 Cards), all (Or Most) actually; NM-MT to MINT! More Fun! Plus I have my cards with your Sub, and another 2 each, 20 Card Subs!

THanks

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

You came back to the submitting to PSA game with a bang Neil. No dipping your toe in the water for you; you kicked the door open and said I'm back.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Horse said:
    Oh man. All hot up top but then scrolling down and seeing Killer

Sorry. here's another, quite different favorite of mine.

Sweet baby Jesus <3

• Options

@nam812 said:
    You came back to the submitting to PSA game with a bang Neil. No dipping your toe in the water for you; you kicked the door open and said I'm back.

Thanks Nick,

As any of my Ex Wives would tell you I tend to go big and not go home! :D:D:#

YeeHah!

Neil