Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 Topps Joe Montana

VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 18, 2020 6:00AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1981 Topps Joe Montana cards have been quietly creeping up as of recent and no ones been talking about them. The card which has been sitting at a modest $600 price range for what has felt like an eternity is finally getting the hobby love & recognition I feel it deserves. This truly makes sense as we have been seeing the recent trending upwards prices on Tom Brady's rookie cards as well over the the past year, it was only a matter of time before the original QB GOAT caught up.

PSA 9 prices are now reaching as high as over 3K! Will these prices hold, no one can say for certain (although I am sure everyone will have their own opinion) but I know a lot of folks within the card collecting community (myself included) thought that we were seeing 2016 all over again but now I'm not so sure. If and when they do start to come back down, I still don't believe we will ever see the prices we were seeing pre C-19 on many of todays card prices.

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

1981 topps is not that scarce. That would be the one thing that could hurt the long-term sustainability of a psa 9 at $3,000. But this is truly one of the best football cards of all-time. I think the 10's will keep going up forever. I think the investment market will sustain the 10. The 8's will probably go down some over time.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Prizm football and basketball which is as plentiful as 90s Donruss baseball Is getting the prices they are getting. Then this is a bargain.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

I agree REXVOS...'81 boxes are a bargain right now. I can see the Montana 10 having a similar rise in price to what we're seeing with the Payton and Henderson 10's.

• Options

I'm not sure comparing the Henderson price (pop 26) to Montana (108) would be the best example but the PSA 10 was around 10K for the longest time. They seem to have been going up (just like everything else) which I feel is very long over due for the PSA 9's and 10's. I agree that 1981 is still plentiful and not impossible to find (if you're willing to pay up) but its still pretty affordable considering. 81 Montana is certainly an iconic football card.

• Options

Beautiful card and killer centering and strong corners. Joe does enough signings but as of recent, he's not signing these. Here's my unsigned copy.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    1981 topps is not that scarce. That would be the one thing that could hurt the long-term sustainability of a psa 9 at $3,000. But this is truly one of the best football cards of all-time. I think the 10's will keep going up forever. I think the investment market will sustain the 10. The 8's will probably go down some over time.

For the iconic hobby cards, the demand end of the formula consistently blows up the supply side. I think that term get thrown around too much today, but the 1981 Joe Montana is in the club. In the alchemy of the hobby, there has to some level of attainability for it to become truly iconic.

Mike
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1976 Topps Walter Payton PSA 9 is inching up too but I think it has been under valued for years. I am incredibly biased though

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:
    Beautiful card and killer centering and strong corners. Joe does enough signings but as of recent, he's not signing these. Here's my unsigned copy.

He does sign them, but he charges double.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:
    The 1976 Topps Walter Payton PSA 9 is inching up too but I think it has been under valued for years. I am incredibly biased though

Lawrence Taylor bias here. His PSA 8's and 9's have gone bonkers. LT'S are undervalued mostly due to non football issues. Maybe were instead of are after another eBay look wtf...

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

my taylor has a light color background to it. i got it two years ago for 60.00. my lott is a solid nine.