Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Discovery Type Dahomey 1971 100 CFA Francs Silver Proof Coin

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 17, 2020 6:46PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I recently purchased a piece of a variety that I though might exist but until recently could only speculate its existence. This is the smallest silver coin of the proof set of coins issued for Dahomey in 1971. This set is more recognized for the larger two 500 and 1000 CFA silver proofs that feature native women bare to the waist and quite popular in Francophone countries. The obverse of these coins, small and large, all feature the arms of Dahomey - now Benin - with the silver fineness enclosed in a cartouche at varying locations. A few were evidently struck at a different Mint and bare the the counter stamp "1 AR" to the left of the fineness cartouche, and this can be either 999,9 or 1000 on the non-counterstamped. All counterstamped coins are of the 1000 type.

1 AR evidently was used for coins struck at Arezzo, Italy.

I have also seen this on the 200 CFA coin from the set, but this is seemingly scarcer. I'd never seen it on the 100, but saw it just the other day and so bought it. I have since googled the coin and found one other of these 100 CFA coins.

Normal type:
C3A9577097EA_1_102_a.jpeg

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice pickup

i never saw that design before

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.