Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1948 Leaf "Factory Misprint" for mine, but 2 others got graded.

DJJazzBassDJJazzBass Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
edited September 17, 2020 1:49PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I just called PSA, left a message, and an email with photos (which says 5 to 7 days), but they'll ship my card back by then.
(If this gets resolved, please delete this post. I have no way to get in touch with anyone at PSA).

1948 Leaf Football DeWitt Coulter WHITE JERSEY submitted. Rare. 1 of 1. BUT, not according to PSA. They called it a Factory Misprint. Below are pictures of 2 "Factory Misprints" that they did grade and are in the POP report.
Am I missing something? What did I do wrong? I even put those cert numbers of the 2 other cards in the COMMENTS on my submit form when I sent the card in Express service. I also pressed "Error" while it was in grading and added "WHITE JERSEY", even though I did write "WHITE JERSEY" on the submit form.
49814308 FACTORY MIS-PRINT, NO GRADE, NO CHARGE

My card, followed by 2 they did grade for someone else:

Hey Moose! Rocco! Help the Judge find his checkbook, will ya!

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sincerely wish you luck with getting them to grade your item.

I recently sent in a square corner proof of a 1968 Topps Game card they wouldn't grade, even though they grade the 1969-71 Super proof cards.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2020 6:10AM

Thank you.
    The card moved from Assembly to QA Check 1. Still says: 49814308 FACTORY MIS-PRINT, NO GRADE, NO CHARGE
    Hopefully this thread, my email with pictures, or my phone message will assist in QA catching that it should be graded like the other White Jersey cards were. There are also a handful of 1948 Leaf Football cards in the POP report that have a White Background. Also very rare.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I emailed on my card and was told if there was no "checklist", it would not be graded. They did say if I could produce documentation, it would be considered.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

they go by SCD, I think or some type of book published by someone who is supposedly an authority.

1) 1977 topps basketball has green and gray backs, but because the SCD or whomever doesn't recognize they won't
    2) 1979 Topps football same thing, gray and cream.

But, they do grade:
    1) 1956 Topps baseball backs white or gray
    2) 1954 Topps Baseball backs white or gray
    3) 1958 Topps baseball with white letters vs some other color
    4) 1969 Topps baseball same way
    5) 1981 OPC baseball same way

Apparently, only baseball cards matter to SCD or whomever they go. PSA should just be consistent, either do one or do them all. It just sends a bad image that PSA can't figure out for themselves what to grade or not. They are bigger than SCD, just take charge and be consistent.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

Looks like the card shipped out as FACTORY MIS-PRINT, NO GRADE, NO CHARGE
    That makes it a 1 of 1 of 1.
    1 of 1 for being a White Jersey for that card, and 1 of 1 for probably being the first time PSA ever said "FACTORY MIS-PRINT, NO GRADE" for a 1948 Leaf football card. The set is riddled with color variations. Perhaps on a scale of "White Jersey" cards from 1 to 10, mine goes to 11. Hence, the "mis-print".

• Options

I got my card back and contacted customer service to find out why they wouldn't grade it. I included photos of the other 2 similar cards that they did grade (as shown earlier in this post). Also, PSA seems to grade every "color" variation for socks, jerseys, football color, helmet color, name colors, White and Colored background, & jersey numbers in this set, except my card. I've posted their reply below:

"Thank you for sending in your Research Request. We have reviewed your request from the PSA Customer Request Center but unfortunately, we no longer recognize this color variation as a variety.
    There are many standard color variations we do continue to recognize for the 1948 Leaf set, but currently, we do not recognize "white jersey" as a color variation
    ."

That makes no sense. They can recognize between a purple and red jersey (#18 Harry Gilmer), Maroon and Red jersey for SAMMY BAUGH!, plus many others including white and colored backgrounds, but "NO LONGER" between Blue and White jersey for DeWitt Coulter! It's not a "standard" variation. It's a very rare "1 of 1" as of this post. Perhaps they just don't want to add a new line to the Registry Master Set List and upset the top 10 owners because they wouldn't have this card variation.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Translation:
    “we are too F&@$ing busy to create a new spec for a one off card from a piker submitter. Pound sand and try again later when business slows down.”

Stop trying to use logic and facts when trying to get new cards graded. It will just cause you to get frustrated.

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here