Home Q & A Forum

What are or, can be, the legal consequences if....

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

an item is reported as a forgey by PCGS members?
Will the item will be removed by Ebay on the members "say-so"?
What if the item is** NOT** a forgery and is very much authentic?
what if the seller of the item will start legal proceedings for .." whatever"?
Just asking and wondering what all your opinions are????
I am sure there are some legal beagles members here who have the right answers.
thank you (and no, its NOT me)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2020 3:55PM

An item is reported as a forgey by PCGS members?
    It would depend on the PCGS member that reported it, there are members here that ebay listens to.
    If FredW reported it it would be removed, if you or I reported it it may or may not get removed.

Will the item will be removed by Ebay on the members "say-so"?
    I believe ebay double checks before they will remove an item.
    Even if it is reported by one of their experts they have another expert review it.
    Reporting by an ebay member via the "Report Item" link has little chance of being removed.

What if the item is NOT a forgery and is very much authentic?
    If it is authentic you can try to prove it with documentation.
    Ebay may or may not accept your proof and may or may not let you relist it.

What if the seller of the item will start legal proceedings for .." whatever"?
    By using the site you agree to ebay's terms and agree to hold them harmless.
    It is their playground and they can pretty much do what they want.
    They have a team of high paid attorney's just sitting around drinking coffee waiting for someone who would like to talk to them.

This is just my 2 cents :)
    I am NOT a legal beagle I'm just a dumb ol' Dawg as you can tell from my avatar. :D

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I am aware of all you mentioned and the processes.
    However, it is not that simple as Ebay, despite all their do- nots and not allowed's or we will, and we will etc etc...and Most their small print is a mean not much in case of someone with deep pockets goes legal.
    their liability is still very much alive because they have done nothing over time to mitigate or stop the sale of fakes. easy to proof!! And it is easy to proof that they totally ignored reports. All they have to do is evoke strict penalties , just for repeat offenders! And stop these offenders from using multiple accounts.
    BUT the mighty $$$$$ has priority.
    just saying...all just My Opinions..and nobody has to share it.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your question.
    I do that all the time & give wrong answers too. :D

"they have done nothing over time to mitigate or stop the sale of fakes."

Sounds like you are talking about ebay facilitating the sale of counterfeits and not taking reasonable & responsible efforts to prevent it.

I agree it would be easy for them to do more than they are doing to help protect our hobby.
    I also agree that technically they are breaking the law by not doing more to prevent it.
    They can remove listings for counterfeit coins, the seller will relist a week or two later, they remove them again and yet they do nothing to the seller. It's all about collecting the money/fees and spending as little of it as possible. Without stricter laws and enforcement from the government on all levels of counterfeit coins sales things will get worse before they get better. Until the government stops this stuff at the boarder & ports and have severe penalties very little will change. While it is a big problem on ebay they are not the only site, there are many other sites allowing the sale of these coins and they do less to stop it than ebay. I am not an ebay cheerleader & I love our hobby but the problem is much bigger than just ebay. I hate these counterfeits and what affect it will have on the hobby as much as anyone else.

I know I still didn't answer your question, it will take someone smarter than me to answer it. :/

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know and don't want to find out :)