Home Sports Talk
Options

Alex, I'll take Sports Trivia for $500

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 16, 2020 9:50AM in Sports Talk

Anybody can post a question at anytime, even before a prior question is answered.

Give clues for hard ones

Post answer next day

No looking up answer

Comments

• Options
    edited September 16, 2020 7:38AM

Name the NBA player that choked out his coach, and name the coach.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spree

Carlesimo

• Options

who holds the record for most receiving yards in an NFL game with 336

(yes I know this......dont cheat mf'ers)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2020 8:59AM

@galaxy27 said:

(yes I know this......dont cheat mf'ers)

Calvin Johnson Lions?? I didn’t cheat although I wanted too 😅 EDIT: I’m wrong 😡

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Flipper Anderson?

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who holds the record for most consecutive title defenses in boxing?

• Options
    edited September 16, 2020 10:53AM

Which NBA player, knowing his team was going to lose during the playoffs, coined the phrase "1,2,3 Cancun" when breaking the huddle?

Clue: He was a Laker guard, with Kobe. That got him traded to Denver.

• Options

i know nothing about the 1,2,3 Cancun quote but I'll take an educated guess based on the teams mentioned and say Van Exel

• Options
    edited September 16, 2020 12:21PM

@galaxy27 said:
    i know nothing about the 1,2,3 Cancun quote but I'll take an educated guess based on the teams mentioned and say Van Exel

You would be right.

btw you'll hear Shaq, Kenny, and Charles to this day still refer to the 1,2,3 Cancun quote during the playoffs, and LOL.

• Options
    edited September 16, 2020 12:52PM

Name the pitcher that hit the catcher intentionally over the head with a bat. Name catcher too.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:

Flipper Anderson?

I only knew that because Everett was my favorite NFL player back then.... LOL .

Ok. Who is the only two-time winner of the Butkus Award given to college football's best linebacker?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:
    Name the pitcher that hit the catcher intentionally over the head with a bat. Name catcher too.

Marichal, Roseboro.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although there might be some possible debate about this one, both my 'History of Sport' Professor (yes I took that class) and Trivial Pursuit (I couldn't believe it when my studies paid off!) agree.

Name the two games which served as inspiration for the modern game of baseball.......

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:

@bobbybakeriv said:

Flipper Anderson?

Ok. Who is the only two-time winner of the Butkus Award given to college football's best linebacker?

Chrissy Everett?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Although there might be some possible debate about this one, both my 'History of Sport' Professor (yes I took that class) and Trivial Pursuit (I couldn't believe it when my studies paid off!) agree.

Name the two games which served as inspiration for the modern game of baseball.......

I didn't google it.

One is obviously cricket. The second one i have no idea, but i'm going to take a very wild guess and say darts, due to the pinpoint accuracy of the game, and that needed to be a good pitcher.

• Options

@2dueces said:

@bobbybakeriv said:

@bobbybakeriv said:

Flipper Anderson?

Chrissy Everett?

Yes, but Serena Williams was better.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

I didn't google it.

One is obviously cricket. The second one i have no idea, but i'm going to take a very wild guess and say darts, due to the pinpoint accuracy of the game, and that needed to be a good pitcher.

Rounders the other?

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

I didn't google it.

Rounders the other?

Rounders and Cricket !!!!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

What D-1 college football conference has had the most successful season (measured by final rankings poll)?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who was the Baseball HOF pitcher that was drafted by a Pro Hockey team?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Who was the Baseball HOF pitcher that was drafted by a Pro Hockey team?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

I didn't google it.

Rounders the other?

I thought Rounders was a movie about poker?

• Options
    edited September 18, 2020 10:12PM

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

I didn't google it.

Rounders the other?

@stevek Interesting side note. (Well, maybe 😂) The professor who taught me that, sometime in the 90s, was an athletic trainer of some kind - I don't remember his role or even name- on the 1983 76ers NBA Championship team.

Edit ..Remembered his name. Adding short partial bio. He told us, as it says, that he was the first full time strength and conditioning coach on an NBA team.

**John R. Kilbourne, Ph.D.

Dr. Kilbourne has devoted nearly all of his adult life to helping individuals and communities understand the deeper meanings of play, games, sport, and dance. His Bachelors degree is in Creative Drama & Movement from California State University Long Beach. His Masters Degree is from the University of California at Los Angeles in Dance Education with an emphasis in Dance & Sport. While at UCLA he served as Graduate Assistant (Dance/Basketball Conditioning) to then Headcoach Larry Brown. His Ph.D. is from The Ohio State University where he continued his work in exploring the relationships between sport and performance. His dissertation is titled, Building A Bridge Between Athletics and Academics.

In 1982 John became the first full-time Conditioning Coach in the National Basketball Association with the Philadelphia Seventy Sixers. He helped them in the pursuit of their 1983 World Championship.*

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

I didn't google it.

Rounders the other?

@stevek Interesting side note. (Well, maybe 😂) The professor who taught me that, sometime in the 90s, was an athletic trainer of some kind - I don't remember his role or even name- on the 1983 76ers NBA Championship team.

Edit ..Remembered his name. Adding short partial bio. He told us, as it says, that he was the first full time strength and conditioning coach on an NBA team.

Dr. Kilbourne has devoted nearly all of his adult life to helping individuals and communities understand the deeper meanings of play, games, sport, and dance. His Bachelors degree is in Creative Drama & Movement from California State University Long Beach. His Masters Degree is from the University of California at Los Angeles in Dance Education with an emphasis in Dance & Sport. While at UCLA he served as Graduate Assistant (Dance/Basketball Conditioning) to then Headcoach Larry Brown. His Ph.D. is from The Ohio State University where he continued his work in exploring the relationships between sport and performance. His dissertation is titled, Building A Bridge Between Athletics and Academics.

In 1982 John became the first full-time Conditioning Coach in the National Basketball Association with the Philadelphia Seventy Sixers. He helped them in the pursuit of their 1983 World Championship.*

That is an interesting story, especially because of the Philly basketball championship angle.

I do enjoy the history and evolution of various things, including the planet itself and how life evolved, etc. Although i was ignorant about the initial fundamental roots of baseball.

Frankly i had sorta heard of the sport "rounders", but until now had no idea what type of sport it was, or if it was actually a sport at all. If anyone had said it was a drinking game, i would have nodded my head in acceptance of that explanation - LOL.

• Options

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

I didn't google it.

Rounders the other?

That is an interesting story, especially because of the Philly basketball championship angle.

I do enjoy the history and evolution of various things, including the planet itself and how life evolved, etc. Although i was ignorant about the initial fundamental roots of baseball.

Frankly i had sorta heard of the sport "rounders", but until now had no idea what type of sport it was, or if it was actually a sport at all. If anyone had said it was a drinking game, i would have nodded my head in acceptance of that explanation - LOL.

I can tell you that this Professor was quite interesting. He liked to talk about that 76ers team, telling us the Moses Malone "fo fo fo" story. I guess I had forgotten that he was the first full time trainer, but now I recall how he used this as an example of how different things were, as well as leading towards how things had changed (by the latter 1990s). I remember him conveying the importance of "sport" to us as humans, going well back in history and we'll beyond what the obvious ideas are. And I can honestly say that I can extrapolate that out to this very forum and the community that I - as do many others- find here.

• Options

Name the first Asian American head coach in the history of the NBA.

• Options

He's the guy in the NBA finals that isn't coaching the Lakers.

• Options

Eric Spoelska. (sp)

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

I remembered this question from that same class. Though the answer escaped me. When I looked it up, there seems to be two sports competing for this claim. So if it's alright with @hammer1 , I will take either answer. 😎

Which sport was the first to have a "world championship"?

• Options

Here's an interesting one, I think. :D

In 1961, JFK signed into law new regulations which dramatically shaped the modern era of the major American sports.

If you know the law...bonus points for you...but as an answer I will take just simply an explanation of why this was important and what it helped create for us sports fans.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I remembered this question from that same class. Though the answer escaped me. When I looked it up, there seems to be two sports competing for this claim. So if it's alright with @hammer1 , I will take either answer. 😎

Not sure the first but the first Super Bowl wasn’t called the Super Bowl. It was called the World Championship

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@thisistheshow said:

Real Tennis

Billiards

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Here's an interesting one, I think. :D

In 1961, JFK signed into law new regulations which dramatically shaped the modern era of the major American sports.

If you know the law...bonus points for you...but as an answer I will take just simply an explanation of why this was important and what it helped create for us sports fans.

The Sports Broadcast Act of 1961

http://thesportdigest.com/2013/11/how-jfks-signature-changed-the-nfl-american-sports/