Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

need your knowledge and feedback

Good morning, I hear people talk about overinking and smears but I myself haven't ever seen serial #'s like these anyone else????could always use positive feedback, thankyou

Comments

• Options
    Scooter007Scooter007 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

Haven’t seen a serial # , but I have this one

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that what is described as overinking can sometime be due to paper having improper moisture content. My presumption is paper that is too wet will allow ink to run a bit. I'd guess that overinking or paper too wet is the cause of the blurring in each case. Not a major error but a little more interesting (and scarce) on a Hawaii note.

The curious thing about the green serial number in the FRN are the centering marks on most of the numerals and two clear ones on some of the digits. Ink smears are usually more random and these are marks that were clearly on the plate but not meant to be picked up in the final impression. Someone with better knowledge of current BEP equipment and procedures can probably explain this but that wouldn't be me. So there may be more going on here than a simple ink smear.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

The offset printing (seals, a serial numbers) would be printed in a different process than the engraved design.

In any case, you much ink and the numbers on the wheel dragged the extra ink either as they started or ended contact. I imagine that there might be a circular motion which might explain the similar drag marks.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could also be that the ink mixture was improperly mixed. Was a problem with the black intaglio printing on Series 1995 notes - the ink eventually flaked off.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21