Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Simple picks.

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 15, 2020 10:11AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

All four are Silver.
Is the three pence, shape (Concave/Convex) original or PMD? Also, Can you tell if the four pence, has the RPD? Value? Thanks :)

It doesn't appear to be, right?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 3 pence cupped shape is PMD.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1838 4 Pence (groat) .925 fine silver and contains .0561 troy ounces of silver. At $27.00 per troy ounce it would have a silver value of about $1.51. In that condition it is likely to be just a melt item.

The 1936 3 Pence is also .925 fine silver and contain .0420 troy ounces of silver. It is damaged and is strictly a melt item. Silver value is about $1.13.

The 1964 Canadian dime is .800 fine silver and contains .0600 troy ounces of silver. It is extremely common and is strictly a melt item. Silver value is $1.62.

The 1944-P (it was struck in Philadelphia) is .640 fine silver and contains .0288 troy ounces of silver. It appears to have environmental damage and is strictly a melt item. Silver value is about 78 cents.

The problem with silver coins like this is that they are not widely traded like US silver coins. They also have widely varying silver fineness which makes them difficult to process, especially in small quantities. They are also a major time waster when it comes time to calculate their silver content value. If offered for sale to a dealer they would likely be heavily discounted from their silver content value assuming the dealer would buy them at all.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

Fwiw, my Krause has the 1936 3 pence as only 0.500 silver.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@element159 said:
    Fwiw, my Krause has the 1936 3 pence as only 0.500 silver.

You are correct, the 3 Pence of George V was only .500 fine silver from 1920 through 1936. Actual silver content is only .0227 troy ounces. Melt value would be about 61 cents. This is a good example of why dealers heavily discount such coins. It just takes too much time to look up and calculate the silver content. It just isn't worth the effort. (I had missed the notation about the debasement of this denomination when looking up this coin in my 1986 edition of Krause.)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all, for all that great information. Really appreciated. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

The problem with silver coins like this is that they are not widely traded like US silver coins. They also have widely varying silver fineness which makes them difficult to process, especially in small quantities. They are also a major time waster when it comes time to calculate their silver content value. If offered for sale to a dealer they would likely be heavily discounted from their silver content value assuming the dealer would buy them at all.

Agree

The exception to this would or might be if the person lives in the country where the coin was issued. So for example, I presume it's easier to sell Canadian "junk" silver in Canada versus the US or anywhere else. I have thought about buying some, but that's only because my brother lives there and I might spend part of my time in retirement up there too. I'd buy it for the same reason I'd buy US 90%.