Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1903 Mexico Peso with no reserve rotation?

I never see a Mexico peso coin with no 180 degree rotation in reverse side. Is this a fake one? This coin has been certified by a reputable Chinese coin agency.

Tagged:

Comments

• These two pictures are better.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never heard of it, but that doesn't mean it's not an error.
    You might want to send it to PCGS Asia for crossover as an error coin and see what they say.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen a peso fuerte with coin alignment. I would be suspicious...

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I like the proper slabbing of obverse-up, I'd be very suspicious of that coin. I would take it out of that holder and do some basic tests or send to PCGS / NGC for authentication.

I have to say that I spent some time looking to pictures of the 1903 MoAM and the reverse is very good as far as looking like the original, the rays matched very well. The obverse is also pretty close, Of course still is comparing picture to picture. I am more intrigued now...

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    I have to say that I spent some time looking to pictures of the 1903 MoAM and the reverse is very good as far as looking like the original, the rays matched very well. The obverse is also pretty close, Of course still is comparing picture to picture. I am more intrigued now...

@Abuelo it sounds like you were already thinking it's a fake. While I don't like the beads around the edges, I also compared it to another of the same date/mint in Coin Facts and agree it looks pretty good.

The deciding factor IMHO will be removing it from the holder to check the edge and getting a close look at the fabric of the piece.

@Minhang I don't think it's possible to determine without in-person inspection. And unfortunately, I doubt anyone outside of China will give the GBCA holder any credibility no matter how respected it may be in China. (The injection molded holder looks to be exactly the same as a PCGS holder. Maybe the same company makes them?)

@pruebas , I agree, this will require a real inspection. But this one is odd. The picture looks good under close scrutiny, but otherwise it is very odd.

• Thanks to all. I may send it to PCGS to verify.