Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Your thoughts on these Dr J cards and what to do

A friend of mine came by today to have me look at a variety of cards he has that he's thinking about selling. He has a notebook filled with Series 2 through 6 of Garbage Pail Kids, really nice condition but slight corner wear on most. Not much money to be made there.

Then he showed me some baseball cards, the nicest being a 73 Ryan that would probably grade a 7. I thought we were done, but
then he showed me a few basketball cards - and there they were. A 72 and a 73 Dr J. that are beautiful.

What would you grade these two cards? He's thinking to sell them raw, but I think he should grade them first. Appreciate any thoughts on what you would do if you were him.

Comments

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Wow. Beauties

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

centered and no elbow fisheye. very rare.

grade and cash in while the card has momentum.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would get them graded and then sell. The all-star card looks to be in better condition and has a legit shot at 9. The 72 Dr. J. looks strong but no so sure it can land a 9. A lot of chipping on the sides of the card. Not sure how much of it is from a rougher cut versus actual damage. Also has a spot/stain near his left elbow. I think an 8 is the best you can get on the rookie. Two great looking cards no matter what the grade.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    I would get them graded and then sell. The all-star card looks to be in better condition and has a legit shot at 9. The 72 Dr. J. looks strong but no so sure it can land a 9. A lot of chipping on the sides of the card. Not sure how much of it is from a rougher cut versus actual damage. Also has a spot/stain near his left elbow. I think an 8 is the best you can get on the rookie. Two great looking cards no matter what the grade.

that chipping is indicative of the card. i personally like to see that and would take that small stain above the elbow rather than the fish eye that's on 90% of all dr js.

personally i don't think it 8s. usually you have to worry about ltr centering, but the top to bottom might get it on this one. if i had to guess, psa has noticed the movement on the card as well and will tighten up grading on it. best guess is a 7-7.5 at best BUT i would pay more for this example than most of the 8s out there.

• Options
    Cs223406Cs223406 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭✭

I think the 72 erving is 7-7.5 as stated above.
    The 73 erving is a real blazer. These usually have terrible surface/centering issues. I've personally not seen a better copy of that card although its hard to tell at this power.

I'd submit both on an expedited level.

Cs

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

If I were you I'd sell them both to me at a very fair price. If you have an idea in mind, shoot me a PM

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS