Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1963 Topps AL Home Run Leaders - does this have a shot at a 9?

I purchased this raw and just got it back from PSA. I would like to get the board's opinion about this one. Does it have a shot at a PSA 9 if I submit for review? It's the ONLY 8.5 ever graded by PSA.

I have included two scans of the front so that you can see the entire card.

Comments

• tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

No, not with the print dots IMO.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2020 10:01AM

In a less strict grading period, perhaps. I think the combo of chipping on the right edge red and quantity of tiny fisheyes keeps it in that holder currently.

ETA: It's a gorgeous example, regardless!

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

Great card. I think they applied the half grade perfectly here.

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2020 12:09PM

I agree with the previous posts. The fisheyes on front and back, along with the rough edge on the front right (in red area and just below) probably kept this in the 8 - 8.5 range. Centering is a bit off on the back too. Great vintage card and grade nonetheless!

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it has a shot at a 9.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2020 11:23AM

Print fish eyes...preclude a PSA-9. Very nice card though!

mint_only_pls
  • 19591959 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

take the 8.5 nice card

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

8.5 seems appropriate. Don't see it making a 9. Great looking card regardless.

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is close but I think you have the best grade for the card. If nuts nuts centered Id try again. But I can see it is not perfect and it has other flaws.
    Solid card and a nice grade. Keep it and save your money

• stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all who commented. I think I agree, but I just wanted to make sure.

• ejohnejohn Posts: 42 ✭✭

properly graded. If you wish to sell or trade it Id love to have it in my collection.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heckuva nice card.

Sorry, but i don't see a 9 there.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just too bad that Mantle didn't have a few more home runs in that 1962 season, or he would have been one of the floating heads on there, and the card would be worth more money. :)

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

No , close but has a few minor flaws.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the same card, but similar... I had this one reviewed once in hopes of a 9 with no success. I think my bottom left corner looks similar to your top right. I have a natural rough cut right edge, while you have a little edge damage near top right. Both have a little PD in the top section. Based on my failed review, I’d say yours is graded properly - but it still may be worth a shot. Good luck either way. Nice card!

Mike
    Bosox1976