Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any Chance This Is A Real Latin American Counterstamp?

Or just some random punches?

Comments

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the under coin genuine? I’m no expert at this series but the portrait looks odd to me.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brg5658 said:
    Is the under coin genuine? I’m no expert at this series but the portrait looks odd to me.

Looks ok to me - nothing really jumping out as obvious red flags. The portrait is a transitional type. No idea on the counterstamps, but i find it odd that the R's are reversed.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@brg5658 said:

Looks ok to me - nothing really jumping out as obvious red flags. The portrait is a transitional type. No idea on the counterstamps, but i find it odd that the R's are reversed.

I trust your opinion! :+1:

The portrait looked cartoonish in silhouette like it is, but that's likely just a function of the wear on this particular example. :smile:

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options

I noticed that the R looked similar to this El Salvadorean counterstamp but I couldn't find any versions without the beaded border that would be more similar to mine

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, not knowing how that El Salvador punch was made, I can't comment on the possibility. For example, if the El-S punch was not engraved individually but had master punches used for each the letter R and the dots around it, you could hypothesize that you could do a reverse R punch directly on a coin host from that. But a lot more studying would need to be done. Are the sizes identical?

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Well, not knowing how that El Salvador punch was made, I can't comment on the possibility. For example, if the El-S punch was not engraved individually but had master punches used for each the letter R and the dots around it, you could hypothesize that you could do a reverse R punch directly on a coin host from that. But a lot more studying would need to be done. Are the sizes identical?

I gotcha

The 2nd coin I posted isn't mine actually, just a picture from the internet I used to show the stamp

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reverse letter punches are used to create dies or punches.

Not sure why any sort of official countetstamo would use a reverse punch, and in any case it is just an individual punch.