Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Henry VI 1/2 groat, my very first world coin and also my first submission to PCGS!

I bought it spur of the moment at the Long Beach show earlier this year knowing nothing about them other than I liked the portrait. I think I’m going to continue collecting hammered coins of the English monarchs just for fun. How did I do and what recommendations would you give to look out for when looking at these kinds of coins?

I do have one of the Spinks books on these kinds of coins to start with. I don’t really understand all of the references to various mint marks and annulets. I think the annulets are the circles at his neck though I don’t know what those actually are.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have wondered why so many of the coins of this era used head-on portraits. They certainly must have known that when worn the king would lose his nose! Profile portraits look much better when worn.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I have wondered why so many of the coins of this era used head-on portraits. They certainly must have known that when worn the king would lose his nose! Profile portraits look much better when worn.

The Anglish were rather slow on to adopt the Renaissance portraits on their coinage. Took until Henry VII for that to happen. The Scots adopted side and 3/4 view portraits about 20 years earlier than the English did. Also started putting dates on coins beginning in 1539 while it took the English until 1551 when the new sterling silver coinage was released to replace Henry VIII's debased garbage.

Interesting that you mention the nose wearing off the king's portrait. Of course it did. Then when Henry VIII debased the coinage with copper wits starting referring to him as "Old Coppernose"

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to you for a wonderful pickup. Fascinating to look at.

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks very much, @trueblood! I’m really happy with it!

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even with the wear it's a really nice coin. I agree to understand all the design elements is worth it. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall