Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Overweight Blank Planchet - 4.1 grams -

this blank planchet weighs 4.12 grams and it looks the same size as a regular penny. i took pics with it beside a 1958 penny to show. I also showed them both on the scales to show that my scales are accurate.

I think this could have been intended to be a 1944 experimental planchet but came out as a blank. That is the only coin I can find that weighs 4.1 grams. I found the coin in an original bank wrapped roll i bought off ebay. the roll had tails showing on both sides but the coins inside were all from the 40's - 60's ..... so it fits in the years too.

I am needing to sell because i am having some financial troubles right now. I will will consider any reasonable offer. I know it is rare. I can't find any other blank planchets that are overweight by a whole gram like this one.

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing has changed since you posted it last time.
    You would need to send it in to be graded for anyone to want to spend more than $2 for it.

From the looks of it you have a copper slug that was not intended for use as a coin.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

As stated in the other thread you started, there would be no way of telling if it was a 1944 copper planchet. It could as well just be a copper slug.

The "Unsearched" rolls of coins are eBay are not genuine from the period. It is possible to source old paper to make the rolls.

If you do believe strongly that it is a planchet that for some reason weighs 4.1 grams, send it off for grading and see what happens but I believe it is just a copper slug.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Do you have any overweight gold planchets? :smiley:

• Options

i wish

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a copper planchet that could have been intended to be a 1943 experimental planchet but came out as a blank. ;)

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try posting in the discussion page. This is the Buy/Sell /Trade page. Hypothetical discussions don’t belong here.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com