Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Two new "horse" medals

I am very pleased to have purchased 2 new medals from @Atlascoin yesterday. I'm excited to add these to my horse collection.

MEDAL #1:
Atlas description:
SWITZERLAND. Zurich, Winterthur. 1964 AR Medal. PCGS MS69. By Saluz for Huguenin Freres (HF). Edge: Reeded. 33mm. 15.11gm. +S•COMIT•... Knight on galloping horse, left; five lis in the fields around and within beaded circle / 1264/ 700JAHRE/ STADTRECHT/ WINTERTHUR/ 1964. Dually dated in legends on five lines.

The medal celebrates the 700th anniversary of the city rights (Stadtrecht) of Winterthur. When the counts of Kyburg became extinct in the male line in 1263, Winterthur passed to the House of Habsburg, who established a comital line of Neu-Kyburg in 1264 and granted city rights to Winterthur in the same year. The obverse depicts the seal of Rudolf I of Habsburg.

MEDAL #2:
Atlas description:
SWITZERLAND. 1969 AR Medal. PCGS SP68. By Hans Erni. Edge: Plain. 34mm. 20.12gm. Horse prancing right / CIRCVS IVVENTVTIS GRATIA FLORET.

Mintage of 8,000 pieces. Designed by Hans Erni (b. 1909, d. 2015), a Swiss graphic designer, painter, illustrator, engraver and sculptor (and a bit of an eccentric, I gather). Circus Knie is the largest circus of Switzerland, based in Rapperswil. The circus was founded in 1803 by the Knie family and changed from an open arena to a covered tent in 1919. This medal was struck in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Knie Circus, in its covered tent form.

-Brandon
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Comments