Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

As the price of Gold climbs are collectibles like currency also rising?

Has grading divided the appreciation that is normally linked to rises in gold or are note prices stable in your eyes.
Thanks for all comments relating to paper money pricing as being affected by the spot price of gold

Comments

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

Inflation seems to be hitting currency.
    Here is a 63 Gold Cert bidding at double the estimates and it still has time left for final bids

https://currency.ha.com/itm/gold-certificates/fr-2402-20-1928-gold-certificate-pmg-choice-uncirculated-63-epq/a/142109-81389.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many areas of collecting are having a resurgence and I believe the link to the price of spot gold is purely coincidental. Sports collectibles are on fire, and small-size high denomination ($500 & $1,000) notes are also in high demand.

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2021 10:46AM

Government has been printing a lot of money. I see a path to inflating away the Debt.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 422 ✭✭✭

I've heard that a lot of people, who remain employed, have spent less on their travel expenses (gas/tickets for commute, repairs, insurance rebates) by either working from home or going "to office" less. Plus no $2-5G vacay flight expenses & some have even received govt assistance cheques, etc. So, they're throwing this saved money (for some a windfall) at collectibles (+ paintings, coins, currency) & real estate, bitcoin, or other dubious stock options (Gamestop, suggestions from the Reddit investor nuts). Credit is still cheap & most believe that the vaccine will lead to a speedy recovery. (just my $.02)

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

With regards to a $1000 bill, any idea how the prices today compare with the last few years. Curious if now is a better time, worse time or about the same time to buy. I am not really finding any nice coins that are a good value lately. I saw a $1000 bill on a dealer I follows website, and the price seemed somewhat reasonable from what I recall from years past. I don’t collect a lot of currency anymore, but have always wanted a bill like this.

Any thoughts or thoughts on what a reasonably eye appealing one in a vf or xf type condition would cost?

Thanks for any insight.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 422 ✭✭✭

I realize US currency is an entirely different "kettle of fish" from other nations, but I (personally) would stay away from high denominations unless they had some kind of collector value. I attended a very interesting RCNA (Royal Canadian Numismatic Association) workshop on grading & preserving notes/coins a few years ago. Probably 65-70% coin collectors. Our BCS grader asked how many of us (of about 30) had a $1000 note, as it was discussed quite a lot since the BOC were removing its tender legal status. I was shocked to see about 2/3 of the attendees raise their hands. Most of them, coin collectors, had them from relatives in SDB. IMO: lots around -so pretty common bill (& a lot of money to tie up in 1 banknote). They cost a fortune to sell & most dealers I know hate to have them on stock. IMO: would much rather have a high grade red seal $1, gold certificate or something that's tough to get (even if a bit pricey). Something like that is so much more interesting.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency