Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Books on colonial and continental currency banknotes?

SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 10, 2020 6:57AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

So I just learned about Continental and colonial currency banknotes this week and I’m fascinated. I knew they existed but always assumed they were far out of my price range. Now I’m realizing that isn’t necessarily true, many of them seem much more reasonable than their metal counterparts.

What reference material should I look for to learn more? I saw there’s a book by Newman, Early Paper Money of America. The latest was the 5th edition which apparently costs as much as some of the banknotes themselves, but the 4th edition is much more reasonably priced. Does anyone have an opinion on either, or some alternatives so I can learn before I just go diving in 😂

Thank you! Banknotes are a new world for me!

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe my edition is ca. 1975 or 1976. Really for the most part all that changes are the prices. Some items like North Carolina notes got a lot cheaper over time as hoards were released from state archives - even in the last decade I have seen lots going in currency auctions of dozens or even hundreds of notes - they are in fairly poor shape though.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@SaorAlba Thanks very much! I’ll have to keep an eye out for a book. Any other references you’d recommend?

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

I think all editions of Newman are available on the NNP. Free.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options

@Aegis3 I didn't even know that existed! I just found it and you're right, there are copies on there to flip through, thank you!

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notre Dame has an excellent collection and website here.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.